Max IV looking for tracks!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV looking for tracks!

Max IV looking for tracks!

Hello, I am starting to look into possibly getting tracks for the Max IV 2009. I heard the composite tracks are much lighter than the rubber tracks , there for less stress on the wheel bearings and much cheaper to buy. I would need to get 21 inch wheels as mine are 26 inch. The wheel spacers are also needed. The tracks would be just for the snow at my place upstate NY. Any body would like to chime in about tracks??? thanks!!!

There have been several threads about the pros and cons of various track types and on which machines, but no one seems to come right out and say which type track works better in what type of snow conditions...they spend more time talking about mud, and I just do not go there.... I know that upstate NY and VT have about the same snow conditions, and often it could be deep and fluffy or drifted and packed, or just plain heavy and wet....no one comes out and says whether or not the tubs will hang up and the tracks will just spin ...I would hate to discover what does not work out miles from help....I also have been considering the composites as they are lighter and may even be less expensive, but have simply avoided them until maybe I get a chance to see a machine working under conditions that I anticipate....there a lots of videos out there of machines running in under 8" of fluff, but other than than that, nothing that has totally impressed me....look under tracks forum

We don't get a lot of snow like our northern neighbors but I use rubber tracks and I am extremely pleased with them. I do go to thousand islands NY a couple times a year, two of the machines that I use up there are Argos they are rubber tracked and work well for their owners. But I must say both owners I am referring to have snowmobiles. I've used the machines for bringing decoys out in a field wih a small trailer, the deepest I've personally been in is 8" and have only been in snow a couple of times. It's probably not enough info for a decision but it's a start. I'm getting ready to try plastic tracks on a max 2 soon.

For snow I think you'll be fine with any track. I've got a Max IV on factory rubber tracks (before I added cleats) and had it in 3 feet of pure powder. It went just fine. It will drag the tub through any amount of snow. What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for in traction. Before you put any track on you will need bearing cages. (3 bearings per axel.) Tracks add a lot of stress on your axels.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    I'm getting ready to try plastic tracks on a max 2 soon.
    If you want to try a set of plastic tracks you could try mine if you like, just have to pick them up and bring them back near Fort Dix.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Max IV on factory rubber tracks in 3 feet of bush snow.

Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 08-30-2017 at 04:46 PM.

A 10min vid of varried frozen ground on tracks.

Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 08-30-2017 at 04:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread