Wiw

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiw

Wiw

Hey everyone I've been looking at 6x6 recently and have owned one as a kid +25 years ago. There's a max, 4 seater near me for $1500 and the lady I spoke with said it needs "a chain and a tune up". The only picture shows it with a factory looking roll bar and a rear rack on the hitch. I'm pretty sure it's worth the $1500, but what should I look for on this unit? I'm planning on looking at/ possibly buying it tomorrow night and will be reading up tonight on it. Do these vehicles have titles or just a registration and should I be concerned about a lein on the title or something. Thanks for the input guys, I think this would be great fun for me and 3 young kids.
    Last edited by 440turner; 09-06-2017 at 05:25 PM.

I've read about 20 pages worth on this forum and have picked up a few things, I'm still concerned about what Michigan has for titles on these machines.......the $1500 seems awful cheap, I'm sure something is wrong with the deal

If it's near enough go check it out. It may be a real bargain.............or junk.

I'm in michigan also and have 3 mach they are insured through state farm and they have no titles if the mach is more than 5 years old probley do"nt have a bank lean on it

First....while the price may be low, determine why the lady is selling...she may just want to get rid of it. Any used machine will probably have issues. The low price may make up for any of those. As for title/registration, that is a state by state issue. Here in VT, any vehicle over a certain number of years of age no longer requires a title to be registered. Check your local regs.

Things to consider when you look at it: is the tub solid and free of holes/cracks; does the engine run and if so, does it run smoothly; are the tires all one size, type, and are they solid/hold air; do the wheels all turn, and no looseness or wobble in the bearings; if the unit runs, test drive it and make sure that you can shift from neutral to reverse and forward and the unit will move, turn, brake as intended (note, the foot parking brake is not the brake). . I am sure others will chime in, but those would be my first major concerns. Chains and adjusters, bearings/shafts can be replaced, but will add to the cost of the machine. Read a copy of the owners manual, a fairly close one can be found here....http://www.6x6world.com/images/recre...ors-Manual.pdf

Thanks for the replies. ....how can I tell what year this unit is?

In the only picture on the ad has the engine cover off of it and laying on the seat with the engine uncovered to the elements and parked under a pine tree with needles everywhere, im assuming their last years needles of the tree! The unit does not run, so verifying that the transmission functions isn't an option. ......what tools should I bring to remove the access cover to inspect the chains
    Last edited by 440turner; 09-07-2017 at 05:11 AM. Reason: More questions

If you go to this link, https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2M?usp=sharing , you can download a pdf chart that shows years of manufacture based upon serial numbers. To inspect the chains, the upper body separates from the lower tub by twisting off about 20 wing nuts, time consuming, and do not lose them. The upper body tips up from the rear and there is a metal loop that will fold up and support the upper body while you do your inspection.

As you have determined that the unit does not run, inspect it and ask owner questions, and then come back here and post another series of questions about what you have found. Forum members may have ideas then as to whether or not the unit is worth the asking price. When and why was the unit was abandoned outside, had the engine seized? One way to determine will be to pull the rope pull starter that you can access when the tub is open. Another way, is to use jumper cables and see if the starter will crank the engine. Inspect the oil for signs of water, as it has been outside exposed.

If you should buy, be ready to immediately drain and flush the fuel tank, and replace the fuel lines, filters, pump, everything front to back and carefully clean the carburetor. Replace air filter, plugs before trying to start. As it has been outside with the engine cover off, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time removing debris from the tub as it will have collected everywhere around engine, chains, etc.

If its the machine I'm thinking of its be for sale for awhile.

It's been on Let Go for 1 week.....
    Look what I just found on letgo! http://app.letgo.com/k8Mk/bK8sFHcEfG posted by Noreen Waun.......here it is
    Last edited by 440turner; 09-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.

On my Max IV I take out the floor boards to see the chains. Mine have small twist bolts that use a flat screw driver.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread