Max IV Chains, Bearings and other.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV Chains, Bearings and other.

Max IV Chains, Bearings and other.

So I got my first 6x6 ever! It's a 96 or 97 Max IV. Love this thing except I already broke it. I snapped 2 master links and the inside bearing shredded as well. My question is what size axle and chains do these take? Im working on getting the motor out so I can access the inside bearing but I'm not sure how to remove the primary clutch. Can anyone confirm it's just the centerbolt and a snap ring? The snap ring seems to be blocked by the piece of metal that "locks" the three outer bolts on the primary clutch. Thanks to anyone willing to help the new guy.

just the center bolt is all

No snap ring? It seems to be holding it from sliding off?

Just the center bolt. Assuming it's a Comet 780 clutch, the three bolts and snap ring are holding the dome on. The snap ring has nothing to do with holding the clutch on the engine shaft.

Ok so I assume the clutch is just stuck? Does this require a special puller tool or is there any tricks I can do to get it off without one? Sorry if these are stupid questions

No stupid questions. It certainly could be stuck on the shaft. First, I would spray some penetrating oil on the shaft from both ends of the clutch. Then, if you can wedge something like a screwdriver or pry bar between the engine casing and the backside of the clutch, preferably one on each side so you are applying equal pressure, and and see if it will pry off. With a little pressure applied to the backside of the clutch, put the center bolt back in but leave it loose. Apply pressure to the back of the clutch and at the same time tap the head of the bolt. Sometimes, the couple of thousandths of end play in the crank will help create enough shock to break it loose.

Edit: Just tap the bolt. You aren't trying to drive it through the engine! You don't want to damage the threads.
    Last edited by dirtdobber; 09-22-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Thank you for the help. I followed your advice exactly and its now off. Time to tackle the inside bearings.

You're welcome! Glad you got it off.

+ Reply to Thread