Greasing Outer Bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greasing Outer Bearings

Greasing Outer Bearings

I am attempting to grease my outer bearings for the first time since I purchased my 97 Max IV a few months ago.
    Should the entire bearing rotate inside the flange when turning each wheel? Currently they are. How does the zerc fitting line up with the bearing grease hole if the bearing is rotating. Sorry for the elementary questions, just trying to figure this machine out one project at a time.

Outer race of the bearing should definitely not rotate with the axle. Seal might rotate. Sounds like you're going to be in need of new bearings and flanges though...
    Meep Meep

There is a groove inside the outer race that allows grease to go around and find the hole.

Your bearings are prolly in need of changing, but how bad?
    To find out, jack the machine up and take the weight off the wheels on one side. I find it’s easiest to pull the tire to see everything better.
    Wiggle the axle up and down, if there’s play/slop, bearing is going bad. If there’s slot of play it’s shot. They should be very snug.

Lift it up and give it a try. You’ll see the difference in play between different bearings.

Could be the flanges are not clamping up on the outer race. Check flange bolts. Tighten as necesssry. Otherwise, the flanges no longer compress against the bearing. Replace flange as necessary.
    Usually the bearing zerk hole is lined up with the zerk upon instsllation.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread