electric motor for water propulsion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electric motor for water propulsion

electric motor for water propulsion

new to the forum. going to look at a 2003 max IV 6x6 next week and will buy if seller has a title or certificate of origin. Gonna be used to access an oyster grant. At negative tides there is about 2-3 feet of water in between the sand bars and at zero tides about 4 feet and about 2 feet on top of the bars.

I was wondering if anyone has installed this on the stern

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/de...ogitemid=35281

figured if this would push the max better and then i would just use the tires to steer it.

I live on a lake and have experimented with electrics and small outboards. They work reasonably well in still, big water. They are sort of a pain when you encounter shallow water and have to pull them up. In the deep and calm water they cover distance quickly and turn the machines easier than tires or tracks. Over the years I determined that a small gas outboard mounted to the rear was a better set up for Argo and Swamp Fox. I never rigged up a rear mount for my Max4 but did use a front mounted trolling motor for some time. The battery life on a spare battery worked well as long as the troller had a Maximizer or similar electrical system and I found the machine was well balanced when the spare battery was mounted on the floor between the front and rear seat.
    The largest electrical motor I used was a 48lb thrust, which I found more than adequate and really thought a 28lb thrust motor would have been about the ideal size.

So 160lbs of thrust isnt needed? I was looking at mounting those high up above trailer hitch so they would just be below the water. Not trying to make a speed boat just looking for something in case there is a little current.

I think if you ended up mounting it ABOVE the trailer hitch like you say, you will really starve those props for water and end up cavitating (sucking air) them badly. And how do you plan to steer with this unit? I would think you would have better luck with a swing down arm on each side of the machine with a electric on each. Both full power for straight and then just one side or the other to steer. I personally have a motor mount for a small (7hp Chrysler or 3hp Johnson) gas outboard and then an extension tiller handle. Works great. And its easier to carry a small gas can than a whole extra battery, or TWO for a 24V unit like the one you llinked too.

+ Reply to Thread