ANother broken axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ANother broken axle

I still have original hollow axles on my scrambler with a max 2 drivetrain.I have rubber tracks and made my own hubs a nd extension.I only have had one axle break and that was at the flange.My axles are actually the 3 stud with 4 stud homemade wheel hubs welded to them.I was told over and over that I better go to solid axles.All I did was mig weld all around my axle hubs.I added 3 or 4 beads.M flanges are not even gusseted and I have not broke any hollow axles.I have 14 inch studded rubber snowmobile tracks on each side with golf cart rims and at101 tires.I was out Friday for over an hour in over a foot of snow going over mounds of tree limbs stacked up to keep atvs out.I am only running the rear chains.My axles do fine.The only one that broke was severely bent when I bought the machine.It broke before I even built my tracks,I was just wheelin in my front yard.Every machine has a failsafe.Something will break no matter what .That's why I like the bolted sprockets,the bolt should break before your axle.Something is not right.I hope you get it get it figured out.I made my own replacement axle,sprocket and hub because I am a tightwad,my track came off once and that was brutal ,my tracks are extremely heavy because I have homemade steel track
    wheel guides.Maybe you can weld up your broken axles.
    Last edited by flippy; 02-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.

photos please

can anyone put some photos up of the broken axles,
    looking for end on close up view of the cross section.

eg how the metal particles look.

OZ

Quote Originally Posted by oztrax View Post
    can anyone put some photos up of the broken axles,
    looking for end on close up view of the cross section.

eg how the metal particles look.

OZ
    I have a bunch of broken axles at home, I can take pics of them for you over the weekend when I have time. Here is a pic of one of my more recent failures. They all look like they exploded lol.

20160107_163116_zpscmftp5dj.jpg
    20160107_152531_zpspfkejnyi.jpg
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 02-16-2018 at 08:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread