Bringing Max IV back to life- lack of power issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Bringing Max IV back to life- lack of power issue

Cool.

I use youtube on videos, and post photos in the gallery here on the site.

Here's a vid, she's alive and I put the tracks on. Loving it. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RFZUVpZjRwM0FB
    To have adventures, you must go places where adventures can happen.

Awesome job, the machine looks great man! You really got on this project.

Thanks! So... I took it out today and was 'moderately' easy on it but I romped on it going up a hill that has been my nemesis with this machine since day one. Once up top I heard a popping and stopped and found the right rear outside bearing has bitten the dust. No, I don't have bearing extensions on it and the bearings all look like crap. SO.. I've read that Buffalo Bearing is the place to get replacement bearings for it, but where do I find the extensions? I've looked at all the places I know of and haven't found any. On Max6x6 the bearing cage page doesn't even list them. Richard's Relics doesn't list prices and is an annoying page to sift through.

Another question- I have a bent front right axle, my serial number is 10682, and Max6x6 lists one from 10573 and earlier that looks to match, although mine is newer. Here's a pic of the inside end of the axle-
    interior and exterior shots of axle from Mav IV #10682 - Amphibious ATV Pictures

and here's one showing the bearing that went bad-
    interior and exterior shots of axle from Mav IV #10682 - Amphibious ATV Pictures

What I'm looking to do is replace the bearings when I mount extensions, appreciate the help!

This is the axle that appears, to my untrained eye, to be what I need but the build numbers are off.. mine is slightly newer than indicated on what it will fit.
    15516 AXLE, SOLID SN# 10573 & EARLIER - MAX IV

You can hear the bearings go when I got excited about climbing that damn hill... https://vimeo.com/246205011

Just ordered a full set of bearing for all axles from Buffalo Bearing. They were very helpful, but needed some measurements that I luckily had pulled prior to calling them. $145 for all inside/outside (triple seal on outside) bearings. 62mm. The Part numbers were HC206-20 R3 ($12.78 ea) for outside bearing and SA206-20 ($11.40) for the inside bearing.
    Last edited by Smurfwarrior; 12-07-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added pricing

She's all rebuild with all new parts... took it out today for the first shake down and it did great. Now off to build a custom cage for it.
    An Error Has Occurred! click link for pic

Did you ever solve this problem? My max 2 does this while climbing hills as well. It will have plenty of power at first and then bogg down until I hit flat ground again. I'm assuming it has something to do with the float level.

+ Reply to Thread