Heavy Duty Max IV flanges?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Duty Max IV flanges?

Heavy Duty Max IV flanges?

I am wondering, and hoping, if there are
    heavy duty flanges for the axle bearings,
    like what Argo has ( thicker stamped steel),
    that can fit a Max IV?
    We're changing a few bearing/ flanges, and
    it would be nice to have stronger flanges. The
    right rear side "stretched" out, it seems. More so
    than usual.
    Can Argo heavy duty flanges be used? Anyone try
    them on a Max IV? Thank you.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Argo flanges are the wrong bolt pattern for your max. I purchase 3 bolt flanges and drill the other two holes. Haven't found any outers that are thicker than the factory ones. The inbord argo flanges are heavier than the max ones.

Thank you Mark. I don't mind drilling holes. I already got to drill two holes on Max flanges I buy from Buffalo Bearing that I'm using.
    Other than drilling the proper bolt pattern will those Argo HD flanges work? Thank you.

Member onlyonce and jerseybigfoot both have the aluminum double sealed 62mm flanges on their IV's. If your machine has 72mm flanges the HD flanges will not work as they are the 62mm bolt pattern.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thank you Jim.

Any pictures available of them?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Member onlyonce and jerseybigfoot both have the aluminum double sealed 62mm flanges on their IV's. If your machine has 72mm flanges the HD flanges will not work as they are the 62mm bolt pattern.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

DSCF3163.jpg
    Here you go Fred. As Jim mentioned they are the smaller 62mm set up. The two grease seals do seem to extend bearing life by keeping out the unwanted. The down side is you will get some grooving on axles from seals. An option would be to install redi sleeves where the seals fall on axles. The black synthetic blocks are being used as bearing extensions only.

Ahhhhhaaawwww! I think I remember a few years ago, when these were the talk of the forum. Don't Adair Sales offer these for purchase? I like the idea of them on my Hustler, since it also has the 62mm setup. I could use some extended bearing life, considering my (our) driving style! Has anyone else put these through their paces yet and want to share their thoughts? Thanks for the response Onlyonce!!!

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonce View Post
    Attachment 16189
    Here you go Fred. As Jim mentioned they are the smaller 62mm set up. The two grease seals do seem to extend bearing life by keeping out the unwanted. The down side is you will get some grooving on axles from seals. An option would be to install redi sleeves where the seals fall on axles. The black synthetic blocks are being used as bearing extensions only.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I also used the 3 hole flanges and drill the other 2 holes when making my bearing cages. If you want a thicker flange there is no reason why you couldn't just stack and weld 2 together. If you drilled a few small holes around the bearing hole in one flange and plug weld them together they would be extremely rigid.

We're going to install the new axle on our Max IV, but before we do I wanted to share something I discovered about the flanges.
    I have new 72mm flanges from Buffalo Bearing, that require two holes be drilled. As I was marking where these holes go I noticed the steel these are made from are thinner than the old, rusty used ones I use as a bolt pattern.
    The old one, if memory serves, came from Mark. They are used for a bolt hole drilling pattern only.
    Who sells the thicker flanges? Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread