Coldddd Weather Starting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coldddd Weather Starting

Coldddd Weather Starting

Well baby it's cold here in lower Michigan, wind chills down to -15. How does the heated throttle cable work, and what's the best way to start a Max II and IV in those cold temps.? Have changed summer oil and filters out to 5w-20 synthetic for the winter.

It was minus 17F here in VT at 6AM this morning, and with a 7-9mph north wind, there is a good wind chill going on as well. We are in the beginning of a deep freeze that according to current forecasts will last through next Wednesday.

Good idea changing oil to a winter grade of synthetic. As for starting, I suggest keeping unit garaged. And I have used an old "hair dryer" to act as a pre-heater for the engine. I let that run for a bit before I try to start in cold weather....and aim the flow to the air intake when starting. It seems to help. Of course, if it is bitter cold like today, the best idea is not to go out, as you risk frost bite!

The heated throttle cable will work, but only after the engine is started. It will slowly "melt" any water that may have collected in the throttle cable. My problem is if there is water in the cable, you cannot use the throttle until the engine is started and the heated cable has a chance to work. I am looking at a possible "hot wire" set up to allow "12v" to run to the throttle cable first prior to engine start. I cannot imagine it draining the battery too much for a couple minutes required to thaw the cable. Best is to not use unit in weather where water will get into cable.

The heated throttle cable will work with the key in the on position, doesn't have to be running. On the below zero days full choke and half throttle works good for cold starts.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    The heated throttle cable will work with the key in the on position, doesn't have to be running. On the below zero days full choke and half throttle works good for cold starts.
    This is true, if hooked up correctly, however if you have a 5 wire switch the headlights will also be on(hence perhaps the running).

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

a short length of heat tape used for plumbing pipe wrapped around the stick and cable should work. pulls very little current and does not get too hot. lowes sells it,etc. what do you think ? johnboy va.

Frigid temps here in North Texas as well. Temperatures plunged from 46 degrees yesterday to 33 this morning. Glad I had my Argo on the battery tender, cranked right up this morning. Of course I keep the machine in the garage and had the pilot light on with the gas heater inside the building.
    I had to keep myself protected as well during the process and had a fleece jacket and jeans on.

If you guys get tired of the cold up North, Texas isn't a bad place to be this time of year. The summers are killer though.

Glad you didn't get frost bite starting your Argo lol. -35 with the wind chill here tonight.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

cold weather

Just a word of encouragement for our friends in Erie PA. I see on the weather channel that they received nearly three feet of snow in less than 2 days. That can cause some serious problems of mobility if it's true. We wish them well.
    Last edited by philipatmaxfour; 12-29-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread