Slips out of drive

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slips out of drive

Slips out of drive

Well the adventure continues with the MaxII I have name "The Reason I'm Going to Hell" due to the sheer amount of cussing I do every stinking time a New problem. This thing has been an adventure. I have it running under it's own power now electrical is straight, engine govenor is correct, new clutch... All that fixed, I'm excited to hop in and drive... "@#$&%\€¥^≤, &_-+()#” (cuss words that frighten small children and impress salty old sailors. The thing will not stay in drive... I've decided to rebuild the transmission to just fix any hidden issues. First, What's causing the failure to stay in drive and what parts do I need? Second, Does everything I need to reduild come in the kit? Third, I'm going to either replace the bands or have them resurfaced. Which is cheaper and who reurfaces them? Thanks y'all

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamPage View Post
    Well the adventure continues with the MaxII I have name "The Reason I'm Going to Hell" due to the sheer amount of cussing I do every stinking time a New problem. This thing has been an adventure. I have it running under it's own power now electrical is straight, engine govenor is correct, new clutch... All that fixed, I'm excited to hop in and drive... "@#$&%\€¥^≤, &_-+()#” (cuss words that frighten small children and impress salty old sailors. The thing will not stay in drive... I've decided to rebuild the transmission to just fix any hidden issues. First, What's causing the failure to stay in drive and what parts do I need? Second, Does everything I need to reduild come in the kit? Third, I'm going to either replace the bands or have them resurfaced. Which is cheaper and who reurfaces them? Thanks y'all
    I would check the diamond shifters first before anything else! If the pins are worn it will not properly engage into gear!! start there and keep us informed
    thanks and good luck

If the diamond shifter looks good you may want to open the trans and look at the teeth on the shift collar and drum. Ran into this issue in the past. Shifter teeth looked like shark teeth and wouldn't stay in gear.

WilliamPage, I don't have any experience with Max machines, but something else to check is the linkage adjustment. You need to make sure the linkage is allowing the shift collar to fuller engage in the forward position. Pull the diamond shifters as Dave said and inspect the pins (one per shifter). If the pins are good, reinstall the diamond and rotate it through the f-n-r positions. You should feel the detent catch at each position. Put in in forward, put your shift lever in the forward position, and see if your linkage is where it should be. If not, adjust the linkage so that the diamond shifter is fully engaged in the forward position.

If the pins are good and the linkage is good, then you must go inside the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    WilliamPage, I don't have any experience with Max machines, but something else to check is the linkage adjustment. You need to make sure the linkage is allowing the shift collar to fuller engage in the forward position. Pull the diamond shifters as Dave said and inspect the pins (one per shifter). If the pins are good, reinstall the diamond and rotate it through the f-n-r positions. You should feel the detent catch at each position. Put in in forward, put your shift lever in the forward position, and see if your linkage is where it should be. If not, adjust the linkage so that the diamond shifter is fully engaged in the forward position.

If the pins are good and the linkage is good, then you must go inside the transmission.
    Dirtdobber nailed this one. I've seen several where linkage adjustments (or bent rods) cause this. It's also a cause of the shift pins on the diamond shifters wearing out. The best thing to do is to split the shifter. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...t-shifter.html

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamPage View Post
    Well the adventure continues with the MaxII I have name "The Reason I'm Going to Hell" due to the sheer amount of cussing I do every stinking time a New problem.
    HAhahah this is me and my old conquest every time I work on it!

+ Reply to Thread