Crankshaft length and engine question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crankshaft length and engine question

Crankshaft length and engine question

Am I missing something? Every engine I find has around a 3” long shaft, all of the clutches I find are around 4.75”. Is there a spacer or something I’m missing? I’m pretty stumped.

Also, I’ve got a 16hp vanguard with an unknown history. Looks good and fires up fairly easy. I also have access to a 20hp Honda that looks like crap, but only has 5hrs on the meter. It was stored too close to fertilize and all of the galvanized looks horrible. It fires up, but you can tell it needs a good carb cleaning. I can get it with a battery and fuel tank for $250. Will the bigger 20hp Honda be a big difference on a. MaxII with 22” tires and added weight? (Roll cage, winch, 2nd car sized battery, trunk and roof rack, etc)

The most common crank shaft it 2 29/32 (just call it 3 inch). I typically just build a spacer or stack up washers to fill the void inside the clutch so that the fender washer holding the clutch in place has something to tighten against.

16 to 20 hp would make a noticeable difference. If you are sure of the hours on the Honda and it will either clean up ok, or you can live with ugly then I would grab it. that is a great price and should last a long time. there shouldn't be much/ anything galvanized on it. what you are probably seeing is the aluminum is oxidized
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    The most common crank shaft it 2 29/32 (just call it 3 inch). I typically just build a spacer or stack up washers to fill the void inside the clutch so that the fender washer holding the clutch in place has something to tighten against.

16 to 20 hp would make a noticeable difference. If you are sure of the hours on the Honda and it will either clean up ok, or you can live with ugly then I would grab it. that is a great price and should last a long time. there shouldn't be much/ anything galvanized on it. what you are probably seeing is the aluminum is oxidized
    So I can just toss a bunch of 1” washers in there? Now I feel dumb.

So I can just toss a bunch of 1” washers in there?
    You can if you want, but the reason for the washers is to keep from collapsing the fender washer in the void space. Of course, the fender washer keeps the clutch from walking off the crankshaft. If you use a heavy washer in place of a fender washer, there is no need to add washers to fill the void. I made a washer out of 1/4 inch metal and used it just fine, without filling the void.

I have no spacers in the void either, I made an extra thick cupped washer on my Lathe for my Max IV.

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to find a clutch

+ Reply to Thread