Marinising the max

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marinising the max

inner bearings

thanks ZUK,

the MAX and for that matter most 6x6 are using very old technology for the axles and bearings.
    they are cheap to replace, but i am seeing fairly corroded axles on this forum and the
    usual impossible to remove set screws etc.

struck another hurdle, my new inner bearings seem to be different width (not the outer race) but the sleeve /inner race total width. can get them to fit without any shims.
    i am seeing a measurement of 192 mm from the outer bearing flangette on top where the grease nipple base is, to the inner face of the hub.(this is for the original axle protrusion from tub).

thinking of a simple thin metal gage i can quickly use to check the axle extension on the
    other axles as i install them.

other issue (maybe a blessing in disguise), is they gave me P206 bearings at inch + 1/4 instead of P205 at 1 inch inner diam for my inner bearings.
    may stay with these and use a bronze sleeve over the inner end to take the shaft diam from 1 inch to inch 1/4, that way the inner bearings ( and set screws) i can press off if they corrode in the future.

found it all pretty hard bending over the MAX for hours on end, trying to remove axles set screws and bearings that were corroded.
    i have got to improve on this design to make the machine easier to maintain in the future, or face a back ache again................

OZ

oz..that's the reason i built a subframe for my max 2 and now all the bearings, chains and axles a easy access outside the tub. it's been this way for 3 years with lot's of heavy mud use. i have not encountered any major drawbacks to this setup. i can change any axle bearing , chain or chain tensioner much quicker and easier on my back...so i know what you mean about ''bending''. plus some of those bearings on the max 2 are awfully hard to reach back in the motor area. sounds like your build is going great. j.b.

photos

thanks John,
    do have any photos ?
    or is there another thread for your mods ?

regards
    OZ

been a while
    the max is going well
    in saltwater the fastest speed i got was 7 kph .
    with 26 inch terras and just me and the dog onboard

with tires set up for water i definitely
    lose traction earlier in forward
    sometimes in mud its easier to go thru
    in reverse. eg reversing up from water
    thru a muddy steep bank

the 1/4 inch axle thru bolt did fail,
    when i had 3 kids on board and i pulled
    the sticks back hard to brake suddenly.

gone up to 5/16 grade 8 and have spare
    grade 5 bolts to fit if needed.

oz
    Attached Images

hey oz .. the max looks great and i'm glad it's working well for you. i am working on a subframe upgrade on my max 2 highboy . it's going to get upgrades and some better design changes. also i'm going to 1 1/2 '' axles , adjustable chains with no tensioners , etc. i will be doing a video of the build , so down the line it will be posted with step by step changes. i think being the designer you are you will enjoy it. johnboy va.

The Aussies have the best standard truck beds for the Amphibs don’t they. No wheel well issues.

Update

So far so good.

My Max4 hull/tub doesn't leak in the water.
    If u look back thru this thread u will see I added static axle seals.
    When I bought my Max 6 months ago , I filled the tub up inside with a few inches of water. The water leaked out around the axle shafts and the inner race of the outer bearings.

I have machined the old bearing locking sleeves and installed lip seals with a helping of
    Waterproof grease.
    The axle clearances have been tightened up a bit with my paint as well.

Static axle seals

Below a pic of my axle setup,
    The static seals are on the far right.

image.jpg

And the axle assembly

image.jpg

Wheel rims are a big corrosion concern,
    Have coated with tectyl 506 in addition to red oxide primer and galv paint

image.jpg

All bolts and nuts on the outside are 316 stainless, in addition to chrome wheel
    Locking nuts.
    image.jpg

Regards
    OZ

Stuck in the mud

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Buzzing down the beach and I hit a section of mud,
    I reversed the max back and ended in knee deep mangrove mud.
    Could barely walk thru it.

A local resident helped me pull the max out, which only went down as far as the tub.
    (We were over our knees).
    Pulled the front with a gentle squeeze of throttle (we were outside )
    And it came out slowly but made it.

In the last pic you can see the mud crabs I seek with the max.

And in the 2nd last pic the river to cross (my next challenge)
    At low tide.

OZ

Water speeds GPS

Had a break at a place in north Australia called Alva beach.
    I go there to scuba dive Australia’s best wreck dive “The Yongala

But the beach has open ATV access and nearly every house has some sort of ATV
    In their yard.
    So did a swim in the still saltwater, 0.25 nm each way.
    Bit scary and had to wait for current to reduce.
    3B653904-B1E5-453D-AD44-AB389C285A86.jpg

For swimming I have the 26 inch terras setup with the front and middles axles running
    Reverse tread, but after some experimentation now run the rear tires normal way around.

GPS speed 2.2 knots which is nearly 5 kph.

My previous post said 7 kph which may of reflected the speed as I came out of the water
    Onto the sandbank.

I think it’s fair to say freshwater speed may be slightly lower.
    And my speeds are just me (80 kts) and the dog 14 kgs.

Weight makes a big difference in the water
    FED0611D-F022-45DE-BA53-27C4B485B005.jpg

Reading about the interco aqua torque tires, look mean but they aren’t that wide,
    Seem to be not as good in the water.

My spare wheel is a rawhide III 25x12x9. ( eg argo wheel)
    With that on the left front it definitely isn’t as good as as my 26 inch terras
    In the water.

So IMHO the wiener is a Max with 26 inch terras, Argos (6x6) are slower in water
    Because the bow points down ( more drag)

I was mucking around in a swampy water area, and to get over a fence post I got out of the Max 4 and walked beside it in waist deep water with it idling along.

Worth a try as you can get a feel for stability in water, and it creeps along without getting away on your

5300B904-E321-4078-BBEB-44104F7D9EDD.jpg

Here is the max in that same swamp , freshwater , myself 2 children and the dog.
    It’s actually making a small bow wave.

Wont see that on an Argo Hee hee

OZ

+ Reply to Thread