ANother broken axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ANother broken axle

ANother broken axle

We broke one last year also outside the tub just outside of the bearing cage! its like the steel is shattered exact same as last years broken axle I have never seen anything like it! Tire preasure is at 4 psi and track slack was good! It was in the snow and on flat ground not even on the throttle just idleing down the trail! Has anyone ever had issues like this before pretty disappointed in the max as we speak! At the price of axles this is kind of BS the machine only has 80 hours its a 2005 950t!
    "We Got Hogs"

Sounds like the axles are over hardened? Can you take a picture of the broken end? Is there any voids or air pockets? I'd think there wouldn't be. Usually axles bend, in order for them to shatter they need to be very hard and repeatedly stressed to form fatigue fractures. Was it the same location as the previous broken axle? IE front most left? Or rear most right? Etc.

where did you buy the 2 nd. axle ? does seem like it should last longer than that.... are they solid splined axles or hollow ? j.s.

I am dealing with the same thing as we speak, the break seams to be where the tub is I have about 40 hrs on this axle.it was brand new, it’s the right rear, I haven’t even removed it yet. 2000 max 4 solid axle replaced both rears

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    I am dealing with the same thing as we speak, the break seams to be where the tub is I have about 40 hrs on this axle.it was brand new, it’s the right rear, I haven’t even removed it yet. 2000 max 4 solid axle replaced both rears
    Are you running bearing extensions with those rubber tracks?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Its a different axle didnt break the new one! First one was left rear second one was left front!
    They broke outside of the bearing cages! Can still drive it around! The metal looks almost shattered its crazy looking! Both looked exactly the same! Im thinking maybe a bad batch of axles machine only has 80hrs on it but when we bought it the tire pressure was at 15 we lowered it and were running at 5 psi so maybe with the high pressure they were running it weakend the axles!
    "We Got Hogs"

the high pressure sure would'nt have given as much ''cushion'' to absorb the bumps, etc. that would have transferred to the axles. maybe the axles were weakened from too much pressure and who knows how long or hard it was driven that way. johnboy va.

the original statement from your conversation with your responding friend is right if there broken under a appearance of shattering or serated breaks there to hard they should be made of 4130 chrome-moly not 4140 to hard internal mettalurgical embrittlement thats your problem the authenthiized material is to un mallable to bend

I just broke a rh rear axle as well in a max iv . It was an up graded axle with the snap ring groves. recent purchase from RR. Not the the most friendly return trip home with power to only one side. 21 inch raw hides, 3 psi, bearingcages,Ri rubber tracks.

I've broken 3 front axles in the last 2 years on my Max IV, ****ty quality axles is the conclusion I have come to.

+ Reply to Thread