Rear drive chains coming loose regularly.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear drive chains coming loose regularly.

Rear drive chains coming loose regularly.

My rear drive chains will not stay tight after adjustment. After several uses, the left side especially gets loose. The right not so much. I'm guessing the chain tensioners are not holding in place and need to be replaced. Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any other suggestions. Being that the left side gets really loose, it causes my Max to pull to one side. I have a 1994 Max II. Adjusting them regularly is a real headache, because I use my Max for ice fishing mostly (with tracks). I have several racks attached to carry my gear. Because of how I have the racks attached, I have remove them each time I have to get underneath and adjust the chains. The adjusters are the single-bolt roller type, where the chains ride over a plastic piece.

mj those are pretty good chain tensioners some guys have said if they are the ones from richards relics. the only thing i can think of is the nut on the bolt is getting loose maybe. how are the threads on the bolt and nut ? locknuts ? lockwasher ? if a bearing is going bad the chain may loosen up also. let's see what other suggestions come up. johnboy va.

Check your T-20 mounting bolts. I had this happen when I had 2 broken transmission bolts. I'd adjust the chains and within a few skids I'd hear them skipping. Stop and snug them up and it would be good for a few hundred yards then skipping again. every time I tensioned the chains it was just rolling the T-20 back in the frame until I saw the broken bolts.

+ Reply to Thread