max brakes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: max brakes

max brakes

is there a fix for bad brakes on my max iv it has band brakes barely lol is there an upgrade available?

Please post Max specific questions in the appropriate forum to keep me from having to move them. Thanks.

As for your question are you talking about the foot brake? If so, the newer Max's have disc brakes. Have you adjusted yours though?

I think a Max IV can be converted to disk brakes. I know a guy in the club here who did it a few years back. If I remember right, as long as the Max IV has a square tube as the first crossmember after the front of the frame (behind the steering levers) it can be done. You will need a lot of parts though....he spent $400-500 on the parts. I asked him the other night and he said you need the brake calipers and mounts, pedal, brake cable and cable guide, and front disk/sprocket assemblies and the brake pedal mounting brackets. There are/were very limited instructions as he was told it really isn't sold as an upgrade or conversion. Hope this helps.

I have a 2007 Max IV with disc brakes. They are not very good either, and I would recommend not wasting the money.

It is supposed to be a parking brake only. I do use it sometimes to slow steep downhill decents.

If there was a conversion to larger discs and hydraulic calipers, then you might have something.

max brakes

I started to convert my max 4 over to hydraulic brakes using the original rotors(disks) its not too hard to do .

Hi:
    Mogman has the drum brakes and they work supprisingly well. First, Adjust them. If there is not a washer behing the nut on each band put one there, and then adjust them so you can just barely not bottom the pedal but they don't quite drag when off. And CLEAN THEM!! Use a no-residue degreaser, or remove them and use brake cleaner. If anyone knows if brake cleaner is safe for the tub chime in, but I would not risk it otherwise, that's nasty stuff. After this treatment, My Attex stops well. And after adjusted, Mogman's Max seemed to have more than enough brakes.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Disc Brakes on Maximus

As part of my Custom Max II build, I removed the front band brakes and installed a 7" rotor running off the rear axle. It is a bit of work, you need to install a couple of #40 sprocket and chain. Check out the slide show, fast forward to 1:55 to see, there are also a couple of other shots that show it as well.

I don't know how much room you have on a Max IV rear axle but any axle or even the jack shaft should work fine. I used the Hoffco Comet offering, but Tolomatic has quite a few offerings even a cable activated hydraulic offering that looks good. If you want to try this approach and need some more details just ask.

Here are the links:

Tolomatic, Inc. - Power Transmission Caliper Disc Brakes

Comet Brakes - OEM Brake System Components for ATV, Go-Karts, Snowmobiles and Lawn & Garden Utility Vehicles

Brake cleaner

6x6,
    I have used brake cleaner many times in the max bodies(HDPE), and it does not damage the body. I don't know what it would do to abs machines.
    Chain lube can end up on the brakes, so I just clean them occasionally. I've also taken them apart and scuffed up the bands and drums with some medium grit sand paper, cleaned and reassembled them, and it helped a lot.

Has anyone ever had this issue with new brake straps being shorter than originals. Brake rod is shifted all the way over to the left in which the the brake lever/brake rod rubs the tub. Still don't habe enough room to put a nut on. Also the adjuster bolts are all the way out. Photos may help

Hopefully this loads a picture
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread