Steering wheel set up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel set up

Steering wheel set up

The lever serves for reverse and brakes,when you want to backup or brake you pull on the lever which actuates both linkage at the same time.You can still steer in reverse because of the center pivot point.I've use a big barn door hinge for the gas pedal,molded the floor around it and I've added a normally open brake light switch to the parking/emergency brake pedal.The aluminum diamond plate boxes on the sides serves for the 25" tires clearance and also for a flat surface to mount storage bags.It basically drives like a car with your steering wheel and gas pedal.I've got about 70 hours with the steering set up and it does need a little getting use to,but it was the best modification I've done on the machine and I have no intention of going back to levers.The only complicated part in the project was making of a couple of prototypes to find the correct measurements,placements and fitting the pieces together for everything to function in a reasonable matter.If anyone is interested in this set up,I can give more information on the measurements of the pieces.
    Attached Images

Very well-executed design. Thanks for the details.

WOW!!! That is impressive!!!

Nice Job

Killr, nice job, I can understand why you made the change.

Nice Killr, took a lot of time and fab I'm sure.

I've pictured a Flight Yoke in a maxII.. will leave it up to the pilots with t20 experience to hook it up. Any Bright 's ?

I like the idea of a gas pedal to stomp on Maybe two throttles, one on the wheel. Wait a minute.. throw in some rudder pedals.

Max 11 Steering set up

Here's a few more pictures of my set up.1(overall view),2(you can see the right shift linkage pushing toward the rear giving a right turn),3(the left turn),4(straight forward drive with both shift rod being pull toward the front by using the existing springs which were tightened to the maximum),5(by pulling on the lever I'm pulling both shift rods at the same time toward the rear,the main part of the set up tilts on the original shaft that held the factory levers),6(I fabricated a piece to hold the steering shaft in place but it can still pivot a little bit to compensate for some lateral movement),7(an overall view of the mechanical parts needed),8(the main pieces put together),9(that's the Teleflex boat steering system I use,I bought the 6' long kit because you can't bend the cable too much.Also I drill a hole in the center where the switch for the heated throttle cable use to be and I had to bend the brackets that holds the gear box for it to fit behind the dash).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Killr; 02-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Max 11 Steering set up part 2

Here's the rest of the pictures.Also the steering kit cost around $150 to $200 and the steering wheel another $25 to $75.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Killr; 02-09-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

I remember posting a while back that a T=20 could be controlled by a steering wheel if someone wanted one. Very nice job of proving the concept. I've seen and Argo with a wheel and now a Max. Great work!!

Well Thought Out

Killr, you did a great job. I can understand the reason for the idea. If you haven't thought about it you may consider a hand throttle in addition to your foot pedal for those times when you want to lock the throttle on and rock the machine at the same time (mud holes etc).

Steering wheel set up

I'm working on a remote throttle lever as we speak,thanks for the idea.

+ Reply to Thread