Chain adjustments??????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain adjustments??????

Chain adjustments??????

HI GUYS IM PUTTING TOGETHER MY 400CHIEF THAT I JUST GOT.IT DIDNT HAVE CHAINS SO I GOT NEW ONES.THE QUESTION IS IM PUTTING THE FRONT ONES ON AND NO MATTER HOW I TRY TO ADJ IT ITS EITHER TO TIGHT OR LOOSE,THE ADJUSTMENT BRACKET IS LOCATED ON THE BOTTOM AND THE CHAIN RUNS ACROSS IT.IF I ADD A LING IT SAGS ALOT IF I REMOVE ONE ITS TO TIGHT....
    I DID READ THE MANUAL AND IT SAYS YOU SHOULD HAVE A 1/2 OR 1-1/2 I FORGET SLACK/................

you are looking for a 1/2" slack total (1/4 up 1/4 down). are the bolts on your adjusters loose, and the adjuster pushed all the way down? if so, just put the chain together a little too loose, then pull the adjuster up and tighten the 2 bolts
    Last edited by racerone3; 09-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The bracket is all the way down and tight do i let the chain drag along the poly bracket ? So the top is 1/2 slack and a little snug on the bracket??

Put the chain on with the tires off the ground . That will even out the tension.

yep, get it off the ground, then get the chain as short as possible and still be able to get the master link in. then loosen the adjuster bolts, pull it up to tension the chain and retighten the 2 bolts in the adjuster. chain should be rubbing the nylon pad on the adjuster
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ok i tryed to so as you said i had to use vise grip to put the chain link in it seems to tight ,un less i removed the wrong ling when i mesured it i dont know its driving me nutzs...

if you got the master link in, it should be ok... new chain will stretch a good bit and you will need to tighten it soon enough. with the machine off the ground, spin the tires on that side by hand while watching the chain. if it has a tight spot and loose spot as the sprockets rotate, it's a good indication that you have a axle bent right at the sprocket tube.

New chains with old sprockets (and sometimes, even with NEW sprockets) tend to be a real burden to put together on the front of the Attex STs and Chief models. On more than one machine (with two new sprockets and new chain), I've had to put in a 1/2 link over the recommended length, and let the chain stretch for a bit, and then take the half link out. An Attex guru friend has had similar problems. You have the option I just listed, or put the chains in tighter than a banjo string, and keep them lubed and hope they stretch a bit before anything else goes south.

Not exactly reassuring, huh?
    ~m
    Last edited by hydromike; 09-22-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: misspeling!

Kool ill try it tomorrow.thanks

Put unit up on blocks uswd visegrips to squeeze and got it a little tight but spins freely.thanks again 3 more to go...

+ Reply to Thread