No Master Links

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Master Links

Hybrid View

No Master Links

I tore Beth's Max II down today to replace bearings/ bushings/ and chain. after searching for a while on the first chain and not finding a master link i grabbed the chain breaker... same story 4 more times. the last (LR) chain i found one right away and took it out the easy way. threw all the chains in a pile and set about removing the axles. while i was pulling axles i got to thinking how odd it was that i couldn't find the master link on 5 chains. once i had all the axles out, i went back to look at the chains, and they don't have master links. it is a 97, and I was under the impression that nothing had ever been replaced in it (although the wheel flange on the LR axle is different than the rest). It doesn't seem like Recreative would go to the trouble of pushing pins out and back in. just wondering if anyone else had ever run into this?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Green "Scrambler" made scrambler(not action age) with the squared dash had some master linkless chains on it. I have also seen it on a 1984 honda atc110 with O ring chain and somewhere else once but cant remember what it was? Probably attex but I cant remember. My guess it is came straight from the chain factory presized and connected? My only guess though. It would be pre made like a timing chain on an engine I guess.

still you would have to press the pin back in with it in the machine because it has to go around the cross members in the frame.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thats what i was thinking racerone3. I have a 1998 and just went and checked my chains that are original and i have master links. All i could think is someone replaced your chains and did a magic trick to get them on.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    still you would have to press the pin back in with it in the machine because it has to go around the cross members in the frame.
    Yea I didnt think of that. The atc and the scrambler would work with no crossmembers or others in the way. If you dont have the chain tool. Vise grips and a nut or washer works on the side you need the pin pushed to. Thats hillbilly stuff I use to do when I was a kid. I still do it to this day, lol. A bench vise works too if you can use it and actually works best for pre pressing pins back in because its easier to control the depth the pin goes in. Im guessing you have used that method before to.

And yes, hobbies turning to serious would turn more into work and get less "fun". That is why I dont want to be a mechanic. They get home and dont want to tinker with anything.

I guess I assumed I'd have to peen, or flatten the end of the previously pushed out pin to make it stay.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post

And yes, hobbies turning to serious would turn more into work and get less "fun". That is why I dont want to be a mechanic. They get home and dont want to tinker with anything.
    yeah after working on cars for a living i lost alot of intrest in bulding hot rods.....but for some reason working on 6 wheelers is different its still fun and kind of relaxing!
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

Exactly Mad Max, 6 wheelers have a better fun to money ratio. Then again I have an addiction.

Cool VooDoo

Its VOODOO Magic Brian. I have been studying that here and will show you some in October, along with some food ya'll probably wouldn't eat if I told you what it is!!

Still want a KID

i have a chain tool for #35 go kart chain that presses the pin out, then you turn the tool around and press it back in. we quit running master links on the kart chains in my youth after one failed at 90+MPH on the back stretch at Watkins Glen and nearly took my right arm off.

+ Reply to Thread