GMC 2500 vs 1500

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GMC 2500 vs 1500

My wife's boss said something that might be of worth... "it doesn't matter on the engine if the rest of it falls apart before the engine kicks it". It was a comment to my dodge truck with the cummins engine. The engine was great (and still is) but everything else is falling apart. To be able to drive, you need more than a good engine.

I'm a Ford man. This past fall Busco, I brought both the Hustler and the Conquest. I borrowed a friends 16' utility trailer and just squeezed them on. I have the 4.6L V8 (ol' reliable 289 cu in.) I had no problems driving 70mph down and back and got a pretty good 16~17 mpg. The new Ford ecoboost v6 with factory max tow is rated to pull 12,000lbs and get good mpg doing it.

Pulling is great, but stopping is even better. Make sure what ever you pull has brakes and they work correctly.

One thing to think about is just how much weight are you really pulling? From Attex (600lbs) to the bigger Avenger 8x8 (1200lbs). Figure 1000lbs per machine + trailer weight. If it is more then 7,000lbs.. then I'd consider going to a F250 or similar.

I went with the Diesel for a few reasons.
    The power is SWEET, and it's no slouch either.
    Yea it uses more oil, and fuel filters MUST be changed, but really it's not much of a cost difference, I haven't noticed any hurt on my wallet in increased maintenance, and I'm glad to not be tossing parts at it like the old truck. (Another MFG who I'm never using again)
    The MPG's kick ass. I'm getting only 15 average, mostly cause my commute is literally under 5 minutes, so I spend more time warming it up than driving. When it gets warmer I use the bike for much of the commuting. (I averaged ~18.5 driving it home (1500 miles) and was averaging in the 80's mph wise, 20+ with proper tuning is not uncommon unloaded.)
    It tows great and MPG is affected very little, unlike a gasser that can easily loose half or more of it's MPGs with a heavier load.
    Diesel's keep their value, I mean REALLY keep their value. Go look at used trucks and try negotiating, you'll see what I mean. You pay more up front but you get it back if you sell. (IF )
    OK, 01-04.5 LB7 D-Max. Best with emissions sh*t. (NONE unless a Cali truck originally) but has the harder to change injectors that were more prone to failure. Run a good filter and get GOOD injectors if you need to replace and you'll be MUCH better off but just know that Injectors are more of a wear item on these. Reports of the best MPG of all D-Maxes though without the emissions junk. 5-speed isn't as forgiving to high HP tuning. I'm not aware of any durability issues with stock or close to stock tuning. (Never owned one though) Head Gaskets can go if flogged real hard, but an upgrade solves this if you're getting that hard on it.
    04.5-05 LLY. (EGR and PCV, plus a Cat installed, you'll want to "misplace" if possible) Injectors not an issue and no longer require removing the valve covers (Actually a big deal) Just use a GOOD filter and change it. Still the 5-speed so don't go as ape-sh#t on tuning without tranny mods. HG are still a known issue if flogging it really hard. The turbo mouthpiece from the LBZ is a known solution to keeping EGTs lower.
    06-07.5 LBZ. (Still have EGR PCV and CAT.) IMHO the Cat's ass. (I do kinda have an 06, so a lil biased ) HG issues solved. Again good injectors. Stronger bottom end so you can toss more HP at it. 6-speed Ally also takes higher HP tuning. Easier to mod also for a bit more HP, just drop Valve body, no tranny removal needed. Last of trucks before the dreaded DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). The negative is the pistons. If you are going for high HP you will hole a piston sooner or later. The LB7 pistons are a common upgrade. If you're just towing or doing minor tuning, it's a non-issue. If you're doing stock trans or TransgoJr. modded trans safe tuning (Not a built tranny) you should not have to worry either. It seems around 600hp tuning up is where they go, and even then it seems only after a LOT of flogging do they normally fail. I'm keeping the stockers and not worried about it at all.
    7.5 on I don't follow as much. You have the DPF on them which is a pain in the rear. If you're leaving it stock it's just another thing to fill up on new trucks (urea) or to use more fuel (LMM series with the 9th injector).
    Sorry for the long winded post, but it's a start with info on the diesel side...
    FWIW I didn't "Need" the diesel, and am sure glad I bought it anyway. I'd not hesitate to drive to Oregon Tomorrow if I needed/wanted.
    Last edited by 6X6; 12-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Cory i have the Ford F-150 with tow package and to beef it up a bit in the suspension i added a Super Spring. I am pulling the 16 foot open trailer and a 18 foot enclosed. I have the 4.6 engine and it pulls fine. I think the 1500 series is a fine truck also and will give you the mileage when not pulling. Nothing wrong with the Chevy's or Dodge's i just lean to the Ford product.

Before you buy it make sure you get the towing package which has all the wiring for the brake controller and the trans cooler if you go automatic.

Lewis
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Before I went Diesel I had a 2001 GMC 1500 sierra with the 5.3 4x4 tow package and 35 in tires. When towing it was under powered because of the tires and the brakes were weak (tires also) I put in a cam from a corvette z06 which is 40 hp instant to any gen111 engine you put it into. It passed Calif smog no problem so I had about 337 hp didnt want to spend the $ for ring and pinion changes so I sold it and bought my 2004 diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Cory i have the Ford F-150 with tow package and to beef it up a bit in the suspension i added a Super Spring. I am pulling the 16 foot open trailer and a 18 foot enclosed. I have the 4.6 engine and it pulls fine. I think the 1500 series is a fine truck also and will give you the mileage when not pulling. Nothing wrong with the Chevy's or Dodge's i just lean to the Ford product.

Before you buy it make sure you get the towing package which has all the wiring for the brake controller and the trans cooler if you go automatic.

Lewis
    When I bought my f150 used it did not have the factory tow package. I did upgrade mine and it was not too expensive. I had it upgraded to the factory tow package when I bought it from the ford dealer. I had it written into the purchase contract. They added the hd alternator, hd flasher, receiver hitch, larger trans cooler, 4/7 way plug and associated wiring. All I added was the Super Spring, e-rated tires, and a plug in brake controller.

Sounds like you have to decide between being underpowered and bad gas milege for short trips, or being over powered and paying a little more for diesel fuel. I tried the former and am now enjoying the latter.

My only advice is be honest with yourself about your needs. Everyone wants a 2500 (or 3500) diesel 4x4 crew cab, they are cool. But is that the vehicle you really need? I had a the a 2500 crew, 4x4 gas and I couldn't stand the 12 mpg. I towed a fair amount but when I really looked at it I towed less than 10% of the lies I drove. Lots of extra fuel the other 90% if the time. Good luck on the decision, they are all great vehicles so if you find the one that works for you I am sure you will be happy.

Nick

It is great to get all this feed back. I have looked more at my needs thanks to yall advice. Right now I have an 02 Escalade EXT AWD, I am towing a 6x14 enclosed trailer (3200lbs) with a Max II (750lbs) and a Max IV (800lbs) so roughly 5000lbs. I do use my truck to go to work and back on the normal, so every day riding would cut into gas milage. but in the past year I have gone from GA to AK, GA to IA x2, GA to VA, GA to NC several times. Trailer brake and towing package is a must in my book.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Ive always been a Ford guy, but always had 1/2tons untill the last 2 trucks i got. Now granted right now im driving a (nice) 77 F250 that i use, i will never go back to a 1/2 ton. I would go with a 3/4ton gasser personally....

I pull this....

Its a 30ft camper that weighs in just a tick under 7000lbs with a full tank of water. My truck handles it very well considering it has 3.07 gears in the rear. Really says something for how torquey the 400 V8 is. It even does it with a C6....

BUT....i only get 9MPG pulling it. Which sucks.

Hopefully when i get my 6x6 it will handle the camper and the atv in the bed, if not, a regear of the rear end is in its future.

And yes, i do catch alot of flack for useing a 77 for towing and general work, but i just prefer the older trucks.

Unfourtnatly though i drive 35 miles to work one way every day so my DD is a 08 Colorado with a 4 banger and a 5sp
    "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything"

"Theres the right way to do things, the wrong way to things, and the way everyone else does it"

Max II, 22 Inch Rawhides, Winch, 16hp Briggs Vanguard...My First AATV...

+ Reply to Thread