Help me pick my drive sprockets

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help me pick my drive sprockets

Quote Originally Posted by MAX IV Mark View Post
    Since your in the development stage. I would consider changing the chain from the T20 to the rear axle to a 60 size chain. With my 29hp Kawasaki mine has been stretching too much since new. I know I am a little hard on my machine. I have pulled, plowed, pushed, towed, climbed, slogged and winched to its capacity. Now at just under 150 hours, and it has stretched enough to snap all the teeth off the axle sprocket. Mine came from the factory with a 15 tooth drive sprocket on the T20 and a 34 tooth sprocket on the axle, in 50 oring chain. This is a .441 ratio. I just ordered the parts to go to a 12 tooth T20 to a 27 tooth axle in 630 oring motorcycle chain. This is a .444 ratio. These sprockets have approximately the same diameter as stock, but less teeth because of larger pitch. I was thinking about increasing the ratio for more top end, but I am happy with the low end power my machine has now, and didn't want to decrease it. I may raise the govern up on the engine a few hundred RPM later for more top end. Just something to think about.
    MAX IV Mark
    Thanks Mark. I probably should have done that earlier but I just refreshed the T-20 including new drive sprockets just prior to getting the engine. Probably stick with the #50 but its a thought down the road. I'm surprised that RI stuck with the 34T with that large of engine. Guess they wanted to keep the speed down for all machines
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Governed ?
    How many people out there think the governor should go????
    NO to the Governed motor.

Whipper
    boo governor boo. Take that thing off and let her fly. Drive it like you stole it, or better yet drive it like jpswift would if he stole it.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Ok ok I'll take the governor off and crank it up. Lol. I jus need to figure out the linkage etc..
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    It's all Jpswift's fault! Him selling me a darn low price powerful engine causing me to have to reinvent the wheel.
    Yes, I tend to be a bad influence.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Yes, I tend to be a bad influence.
    You mean you are corrupting other people besides just Drew?

hi,
    Leave the 34 tooth sprocket.
    Change the camshaft for the next size up from stock [duration at .050 lift ] .
    Valve springs and retainers maybe needed
    The engine will go way better ,govenor not required etc
    speed will come from the higher rpm u can achieve with new cam
    rejet carb and use a better exhaust than stock good to go

tomo

Hey mike, I ran 26 tooth drive gears (2 on the axles) and 24 's as a final drive. It was geared just about right, even with the 26" ASX tires but my engine was putting out 60+ HP and about that much torque. I am with Whipper on this...with the stock Big Block and the weight of your machine 28's ought to be about right. With a clutch that stays in low gear until higher RPM's you should get great performance in the mud and a nice top speed. Also, change your two drive chains to the HD type. It is expensive but is is much thicker and should hold up. I trashed regular 50 chain within 3 hours run time. Try Motion Industries....it was the only place I could find it.
    Al Hodge makes a really nice cam / high lift rocker set up for that motor. You can use the factory springs with his shims and it will I will make some serious power with very little work and runs great with the stock carb and intake. Throw the governor away and plug the hole in the case with a bolt and gasket sealer. The flywheel in that engine is good to about 5500 ppm. The stock rods are rated less (he sells aluminum rods but they are $$) but will hold up. Then you can watch everyone try to catch up with you!!!

Chris
    Last edited by Meinfield; 01-14-2013 at 11:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread