Carb problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carb problem

Carb problem

My max 2 will not run or start for that matter, it is getting gas, has good spark plugs, will not even run with starting fluid. It turns over strong. It's the 23 hp Kohler. What could be wrong???

I think I would do a compression test....it could be as simple as a partially sheared flywheel key making it spark at the wrong time, or a push rod that came loose.
    Your engine is a Kohler 23hp? or a Briggs 23? The pushrod is common with the Briggs.

I'm going to agree with Jim. When the compression gets low on the Kohlers this is what usually happens. Is this a Kohler V twin Command or Kohler flat twin Magnum? That's the worst case scenario. Best case scenario is that, like Jim mentioned, the flywheel key is partially sheared. I fixed a Tecumseh engine on a snowblower where this happened.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It is the Kohler v twin, and my first step should be to check the flywheel key?

The problem will always be in the last place you look.

You can start anywhere, but I doubt it is a carb problem if it wont run on ether.
    Popping the valve covers off is pretty quick and easy, so is checking the flywheel key.

Sounds like no spark to me, it should at least sputter with ether sprayed in there even with low compression.
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

I have that same motor. Get on the kohler web site and download the manual if you haven't already. There is a shutdown solenoid equipped on that motor. When running your supposed to full throttle the motor wile turning the key off. It positions the motor to start easy due to the high compression. You need the motor to be at top dead center for it to turn over. Sometimes rocking the machine in gear to get the motor in position to start. Just my idea. I noticed in another thread you indicated back fire. You will get this if the motor is shut down incorrectly. Also that's why there not pull start. Hope this works. PM me if you need the manual but I'll be away the next few days.

I took the carb off, cleaned it, pushed it around until the Liston was too dead center and it's running like a champ. There is some squeaking and some popping when making sharp turns. Is this natural? How to and what parts to grease?

I would check your chains and bearings. Loose chains pop and bad bearings squeak.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I would check your chains and bearings. Loose chains pop and bad bearings squeak.
    That's exactly it.

Good to hear you got it running well now.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread