Questions,questions,questions.......

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions,questions,questions.......

Questions,questions,questions.......

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the group,and am searching for either a MAX II or similar 2 seat rear engine 6x6for my wife and I to use on the trails.

I'd very much like to hear from others regarding what all to look for/check when viewing a possible purchase.
    My background is mechanical engineering and metal fabrication,I have my own modern well equipped machine shop ,so at-least I have that going for me ......

Some of this is obvious-raise vehicle/check for loose shaft bearings,hull damage/botched repairs/hillbilly mods,anything loose, worn or leaking that shouldn't be,etc.

Where I'm sketchy is regarding any brand specific characteristics that pertain to,say,MAX,or Attex,or ?

What I've found so far in viewing a couple of local used 6x6's is typical- either a well used and obviously tired example found in someone's back yard that was resurrected on the cheap with the intent to 'cut a fat hog' with the sale, OR, a 6x6 that is quite nice,low time ,but unrealistically overpriced when compared to any published guide (NADA,etc).

These individuals have overlooked the simple fact that the 6x6 market is a very small one; perhaps I'd be better off to contact 6x6 related businesses and take a look at their offerings.

Your opinions,please.

You only have one choice if you want a newer machine and that would be a low hour Max, there will be a large price range out there for the machines depending on owner/user, condition and options.
    NADA does not apply here as the market is too small to track. If they were in Kelly Blue Book it would be an even bigger joke. I believe you are finding both the cobbed price range machines as well as perhaps a rebuilt/refurbished machines that have 2000-4000 in easily add up able parts in them. If you're looking for a good machine at a fair price needing nothing it will take a very long and patient search ,though they do show up now and again . Many members find what they like half decent with the intention of rebuilding it ( you will end up with more in it than it is worth).
    All machines have their plusses and minuses to deal with and continued reading through all the forums regarding the many types of machines out there will help with your search. Many purchases are buyers preference of body style etc. .

Good luck.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I looked for several years, and passed on many, maybe a good thing or not. However, when I finally got serious, I began to look at used machines, within 100-150 miles that looked like they could be resurrected for a bit of time and money. For the most part, a well kept 20 year old machine can be as good as a beat up 5 year old machine.

You are doing the right thing by doing your homework up front and looking for problems when you are looking at machines. This forum is a great place to start. If you want, maybe this thread or starting a new one, might start a "list of things to look for", both in features and problems, when buying.

The machine that I purchased was a 20 yr old MAX II in good condition,that had been to a reputable shop for service within the last 5 months, had a winch, roll bar, trailer hitch, heated throttle cable for good features. On the bad side, the engine ran rough, had problems starting, seemed to lack power, needed a new exhaust, had soft weather checked tires, and the parking brake did not work. Most of these issues are now fixed and I have a decent running machine with some necessary spare parts for a total cost now under $3500. Many of the fixes were adjustments or cleaning, but the majority involved new parts. Could I have done better? Possibly. But considering the number of used machines around, I would have had to travel a considerable distance to find better, and that would have added to the cost, and possibly more so had the inspection proved the machine was not worth buying.

Do I regret the purchase or the repair investment? No! I think I have done well, and could easily sell the unit for what I now have in it. I have seen many units going for $3-4K. However, I do not anticipate selling any time in the near future. I do see several years of enjoyment! What a blast to ride!

Good luck in your search.

Thank you both ,for the thoughtful comments. By good fortune (and my wife's constant widespread searching),I brought home an exceptionally nice,very low time 2007 MAX II yesterday !!!!!!!!!!!
    This vehicle is exactly what I had hoped to find regarding both it's cosmetic,mechanical condition,background history and price.

Now,the fun begins by adding just a few accessories to personalize it a bit before putting it on the trails.

Please try and post some PIC's ! We always like to see members rides !

MAX II

Fellas,

I'm struggling with attaching pics of the MAX. I have more to add,but there's a problem when trying to add them. I'll keep trying.....

Sam

(PS-disregard the other vehicle picture,I can't figure how to delete it......damn !!)
    Attached Images

62, nice max 2 !! with your tools and ability you will have a good machine. have fun , j.b.

Looks to be a nice Max. Good Score !!

+ Reply to Thread