Frontier 6x6 Front Chain Tensioner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frontier 6x6 Front Chain Tensioner

Frontier 6x6 Front Chain Tensioner

I’m just putting my new chains back on all the sprockets in my 2007 Frontier. Of course, the new chain doesn’t want to fix with how everything is set right now. These are specifically for the 2 vertical chains going from the transmission to the drive chains. My guess and what I plan to do is loosen the bolt and nut at the bottom of the power pack assembly frame and adjust the two vertical bolts underneath it. That should get my sprockets to the right distance for the new chain.

Anyone confirm or deny this for me or have any pointers to which I should be mindful?

thats correct,tighten bolts then install chains then loosen bolts to adjust.

Perfect. Thanks.

Don’t forget there are 2 bolts/nuts (15/16”) to loosen to make the idler chains adjustments!
    I may hav spoken too quickly...on my 2016 frontier (kohler 23hp) there are two bolts to loosen for the idler chain adjustment...
    I saw that yours is an 07 so it may be different...
    Last edited by mowbizz; 10-07-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Best I can tell I have just 1 15/16” Boldt/nut to loosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadstain View Post
    Best I can tell I have just 1 15/16” Boldt/nut to loosen.
    That’s what I originally, thought too. I studied the diagram in the owner’s manual and spied a second bolt further behind the obvious one below the idler chains. Sure enough, it was there toward the front of the transmission. A little harder to reach but doable.

Yes, it helps to be limber to get to the adjustment points, but once there and loosened up its very easy to get the new chains on and then tightened back up to spec.

I got it done. Located the second bolt. Easiest out of all the chains to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadstain View Post
    I got it done. Located the second bolt. Easiest out of all the chains to do.
    Good job!
    With that said, what is the exact purpose of those big rectangular “washers” on the head side of the bolts?
    Is there a certain position they need to be in to be “functional”?
    I find their shape makes it difficult to keep a wrench on the bolt head while loosening the nuts...frustrating design in my opinion.
    Is there a “trick” to these that I’m missing?

I found I didn’t need to keep a wrench on the bolt head. The design of the clamp on that side kept the head from rotating.

+ Reply to Thread