Post your tires and how you like them!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Post your tires and how you like them!

Granted my current machines don’t run tires sizes that would fit on Argo or maxs
    I can say stay away from knobby tires. Had those on the Scrambler. WAY too much grip on pavement could hardly turn. Good on lose dirt, and climbing small logs. But terrible in snow and mud. Also if you wanted them aired down they’d shrink like crazy no ground clearance.

I would side on the favor of ground clearance. In my opinion. 1” can mean a world of difference. There are simply many more small obstacles (little rocks, shallow ruts) than there are large. (huge rocks, deep ruts) we don’t necessarily notice all the easy to drive over terrain. But go in the opposite direction. Lose 1” such as deflating your tires more and you’ll suddenly start hitting stuff all over the place. When I moved up from 28” to 31” tires on the Coot I noticed a huge improvement. Terrain of course is a big part of tire styles of course. I encounter rocks much more often than mud, and when I encounter mud aggressive narrow seems to be what works best as every inches of ground clearance is one more you can sacrifice to make it to the other side while digging for traction.

As for as tread filling up. The way I look at it. Tread only fills when forward progress is stopped. A tire that is spinning at the same rate of ground covered will never “dig, pack, or cut soil / mud from the ground and fill” Thus to some degree we wrongly equate getting stuck with smoothed over and packed tread. Where if we did not get stuck / our progress was not slowed we would not fill our tires up. This does not however present a solution. It is often beneficial to dig into the soil / mud to find more traction. However doing so will in turn fill the tread (unless it is very good at self-cleaning and or excessive wheel speed is used to fling packed material out) Digging for traction will of course lower vehicle ground clearance. Which will increase resistance with belly hitting ground, produce more drag which will slow vehicle progress and increase tire slipping thus increase packing and your left with a stuck vehicle with smoothed over tires.
    So in turn: Aggressive may increase forward progress and less wheel spin thus not digging and not packing. Likewise mild tread may produce enough traction without wheel spin not pack and not high center.

NDT tires. I’ve never seen an AATV with NDT tires besides the Coot, but they do make a 24” tall 10” rim NDT for the M274 which would look killer on an Argo. In my experience the NDT is an underappreciated mud tire. It’s very hard to pack with snow or mud. The reverse scoop tread really stays clean. However it lacks any sort of biting faces trying to climb logs or ledges should be of note. Also with snow chains half of every chain falls into a void.

R-1 tractor tires. Excellent, just not applicable to Argos and Maxs

Quote Originally Posted by monkstr6100 View Post
    Anyone run the 24x10-8 argo tires? Anyone run them on a max II?
    Brandon posted a movie of that combination in water many years ago. He seemed to like them.

I ended up getting some deestone swamp witch tires. 24x11-10. They measure very true to size. I have not had them in the mud yet but they are a very smooth ride on hard pack/road. Also do VERY well in snow and ice. Better in all those areas than my rawhides were. Today I finally got them in some open water and while they DO swim, it is VERY slow going. Forward and reverse about the same and you can not go over about 2k rpm or you just churn up water and don't move. I would still suggest these tires to anyone, especially if your like me and mount a small outboard for water crossings.

After considering the AT101's, Runamucks, Carllisle Strykers and the Duro HF243's my bank account decided on the Duro's
    Very reasonable price almost half of what the other tires cost. Got them delivered for $71.00 (Canadian) each.

Mounted them "backwards" so they acted in a similar way as the original Runamucks. They grip well and steer good too.
    The big question was how well they would work in water. I dont have anything to compare them too specifically but they seemed to work ok in the water in my opinion.
    I wont be breaking any speed records but the machine putted along at at steady pace and I am happy with their performance.

The other benefit to me is their size. I had an issue with my track which I use in the winter rubbing along the bottom of the tub and the previous owner actually rubbed a few holes through the plastic.
    I measured my old Runamucks (22X10X8) and they must have expanded with age. They are as bald as can be but measured out at 22 1/4" inches.
    The new Duros are 22X11X8 and actually measured out at 21 1/4" inches. I am hoping this will give me enough clearance when the tracks go back on for the winter.
    Last edited by Craig_B; 11-05-2018 at 09:52 AM.

@Craig_B did you ever get them in the water to test for swimming? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by monkstr6100 View Post
    @Craig_B did you ever get them in the water to test for swimming? Thanks.
    Well I don't have anything to compare them too specifically but they seemed to work ok in the water in my opinion.
    I wont be breaking any speed records but the machine putted along at at steady pace and I am happy with their performance.
    I have some videos in the link below from when I was playing in the creek.

+ Reply to Thread