Max II and Max IV Shifting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max II and Max IV Shifting

Max II and Max IV Shifting

Wife is having hard time getting Max II into forward or revers, What is the best way to do this? Any help is deeply appreciated.

This is the worst problem with the T-20 transmission. 1st cure is to wiggle the machine back and forth with your body weight while shifting. This helps align the shift collar teeth with the shift plate inside the tranny. 2nd is you may have shifting ear wear where they go into the tranny causing some binding. One time I had a transmission that had been taken apart and someone had put the shift plates inside in backwards which faces the bevel on the teeth the wrong way. There is a shifter linkage upgrade posted on here with springs that would help also.

Quote Originally Posted by countrybumpkin View Post
    This is the worst problem with the T-20 transmission. 1st cure is to wiggle the machine back and forth with your body weight while shifting. This helps align the shift collar teeth with the shift plate inside the tranny.
    A much more tactful explanation than i had in my head this morning.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I was feeling froggy after a big cup of pumpkin spice coffee!

Has any one tried the " E-Z Shift kit for the MAX IV" ??? that sounds from what I have been reading a helpful idea.

I asked this same question about a month ago and had one response. The person said they installed it and really like it. I haven’t made the purchase yet myself but plan to.

I think the E-Z shift kit is the same setup the Hustlers use. It allows you to move the shifter to the desired position regardless of whether the internal gears in the T20 are lining up. If they aren't lined up, once you bump the throttle and nudge the laterals the springs pop it into gear. I really like the setup on my Hustler because it avoids all the rocking and cussing when changing gears.

I am going to order the E-Z Shift kit for the MAX IV but I probably wont be able to install it till the spring time. I think I finally got the feel of shifting by rocking the Max IV just slightly front to back and shifting into gear with the engine at idle. But one time out I got stuck facing down hill with the front of the max against a tree. There was no rocking ability in that position and took about 15 minutes before I could get her into reverse to back away from the tree it was resting up against !!!

+ Reply to Thread