What should I do?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should I do?

What should I do?

I am selling my honda 4x4 atv in order to get an amphibious machine that I can use with my kids.

I have someone who wants to trade me a 1998 maxII for my machine(valued around $3500) Am I better off to sell and try and find a max IV?
    I have two kids age 2 and 4 that I want to ride around with. Right now we have a few atv trails through the woods and we have a pond down the road.
    I would like to be able to put a snowplow on whatever machine I get, how do they mount and still stay watertight?

My atv can go through the woods and break new trails, is the max going to be able to do that?

Lots of questions but that should be good for now.
    Thanks
    Stephen

Hey Stephen...

This is just my opinion, so it has to be taken at face value. I think that with two young kids, a Max IV is the way to go. Kids only stay little for a while, and pretty soon, they're going to want to be behind the sticks themselves, and that means that the room-issue becomes more apparent. A Max IV is a great trail breaker (a II is, as well), but the added room is really a plus. I think you should be able to find a decent IV for what your quad is worth. Amphibs are a great family machine, and a great way for the kids to begin cutting their teeth with Dad right by their side (soon to be in the back seat?)

Good luck!
    ~mike

I don't think there's a quad out there that can break trails as good as my Max IV.

I agree a Max IV is the way to go. Yes they will break trails very well. The plow mounts to some brackets that attach at the axle flanges via the existing bolts. You won't have to drill or damage the lower body/hull to mount the plow. You may need to drill the upper body to mount a winch but that doesn't bother the water tightness.

Oh, I think $3800 for a 98 Max II could be a little high. You can get them newer for that. You might be better off selling you quad outright then getting a Max IV. If you get a Max IV get the 26" tires if you can.

Thank you for the replies. I think I might just wait and see if I can get the max iv. It sounds like a lot better machine.
    Does anyone have any video of a max making trails? I have searched and all I found are videos of them driving through tall grass, mud or nicely cleaned trails that are pretty wide.

Thanks again for the info.
    Stephen

How big of stuff are you trying to push through? If a quad can push through a 6x6 will do it with little effort. It will slide up and bend the saplings and vegetation over where the quads may have more drag or bite in. I try not to tear up the woods to much but I have been breaking some new trails in a Max II. I don't have a used max IV in stock. You will also be more maneuverable and be able to turn and move through the trees better so you don't have to bull through as much.

I have a lot of area behind my house where there are swamp maple saplings, if you don't cut them every year they can get large in a hurry. Not really brush busting but if things happen at the speed of life the trails can fill in quickly.

I talked to the guy with the Max II yesterday, he said it has around 200 hours on it, believes that it is the 14hp engine. He really only used it around the yard with the kids. In a week or so we are going to get together to check each other's machines out. Now that I have been reading that the Max IV would be more stable I am not so sure.

I do think that I am going to have a hard time selling my quad outright just because it seems that a lot of people are not buying "toys" right now with the economy. I am in New England and it seems that everything here is way overpriced. Just the other day I was searching and found an ad for a 1997 Max II and the price was $4900. There is also another MaxII (1995??)that isn't running(needs carb cleaned) for $2500, other than that there isn't too much for sale.
    Thanks again for the input
    Stephen

I live in central mass and I just bought my max4 for 4,000. it has 150 hours and is in mint, mint shape. I didnt think that was so bad of a price. If you go on craigs list you can find 3 or 4 of the max4's for 3,500 to 5,000. they look pretty nice. By the way I am still looking to find someone to ride with in mass, ct or Ri areas.

+ Reply to Thread