Modified Max II Engine cover

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modified Max II Engine cover

Modified Max II Engine cover

The one thing that has always driven me nuts about a Max II is having to open the entire body to work on anything rearward of the Jack Shaft. I've had a solution in mind for a while and a freebie body scored from another member finally allowed me to do it. There are lots of possible ways to do this, but I wanted the machine to remain as close to stock looking as possible.

With the stock access hole, about the only things you could do were change air filter or check oil

The first step was to cut the entire rear section over the engine out of the donor body. I cut this as far as possible to the outside of the upper lip

Then it was time to cut the actual body of the machine. This cut was made on the inner edge of the upper lip

This shot shows how much more room there is to get in there with the modified cover

Once both pieces were cut out, I laid the piece removed from the machines body inside the donor piece to transfer all the holes and slots (hard to see in the pic but it's in there). Once the holes and slots were cut, I laid the cover in place to check for fit, and drilled the mounting holes

I wanted to use 1/4 Turn fasteners, but couldn't find any long enough. Instead, I used 1/4-20 bolts run up through the body. The donor piece has 1/2" holes that sit down over the nuts. The new cover will be held down with a fender washer and Wing Nut on each of the bolts

Once the mounting was done, I took the cover off to final trim, and mounted the exhaust duct to the donor piece

now I have he option to open the small cover for engine servicing, but I can remove the big cover to adjust/ lube chains and to clean the machine, without having to open the body

I still need to pick up some shorter bolts, and 8 wing nuts, but here is what the final product looks like. I may try running some edge molding around the donor cover to see what that looks like
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Looks great Race, just looked at all the pictures in the gallery. I like it!

I think it's a great idea and well done. I even like the idea to trim out where the rollbar would have been. Did you think about putting a hinge on it? Just more curious if could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunt81 View Post
    I think it's a great idea and well done. I even like the idea to trim out where the rollbar would have been. Did you think about putting a hinge on it? Just more curious if could be done.
    I would love to have put it on a hinge, but in my case there is no direction that it could swing open without hitting a bar. Standing at the rear of the machine, I have to lift the right side, slide the entire thing right so that the exhaust duct clears the body, then rotate the right side forward...
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nice work. One of the things I dread doing when we get back from a ride is opening the Max II body to clean it out. What a pain that is, or in your case, was.

Perfect use for the old junk top
    I had to special order the zeus fasteners I used on the green maxIzeus.bmp

They are hard to find and a little pricey, $35 for 10, but they work great.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 07-13-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: First picture didnt work

Race, that is the same basic clip that holds the Avenger hood down. The one Jim(Buggieman) has in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Perfect use for the old junk top
    I had to special order the zeus fasteners I used on the green maxIAttachment 7133

They are hard to find and a little pricey, $35 for 10, but they work great.
    I had planned to use Cam-lock's but didn't have any long enough. I may upgrade it to the Zeus fasteners at some point, but price kept me from doing them right now

Great Idea.

+ Reply to Thread