Frozen gear on axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen gear on axle

Frozen gear on axle

I can use some suggestions to free a gear from an axle. I looked through the posts on axles and Mike's video on removing a bearing before I started. I knocked the 5/16 pin out yesterday. I have soaked the gear in PB blaster for 2 days and can not break the gear loose. I have the chain on the gear and a crow bar of the wheel mounting plate. Tonight I put a torch on the gear base for 10 minutes. No joy with my full weight on the crow bar. comments?
    IMGP0119.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kpike52 View Post
    I can use some suggestions to free a gear from an axle. I looked through the posts on axles and Mike's video on removing a bearing before I started. I knocked the 5/16 pin out yesterday. I have soaked the gear in PB blaster for 2 days and can not break the gear loose. I have the chain on the gear and a crow bar of the wheel mounting plate. Tonight I put a torch on the gear base for 10 minutes. No joy with my full weight on the crow bar. comments?
    Attachment 7466
    Soak it in PB Blaster again and let it sit overnight again. Then drive the machine and the torque from the chain might spin it loose on the axle.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've had good luck with Brake fuild. Just pour it all over the axle, spocket tube and bearings and let it sit for a day or so. That stuff seeps through rust pretty good. Whatever you choose to use, the key is let is soak and day or more.

Update. I got the first one off. I tried a slam hammer and earned a sore shoulder. I finally cut all the bearings to float the axle and that allowed a large gear puller access to the inner end. I borrowed the gear puller from a friend who builds 1/4 size steam locomotives. I put a breaker bar of the gear puller nut. Pop, pop, pop. The sprocket moved. Five to go.

Just looking at it it seems like you could put some large pipe wrenches one on the sprocket and one on the axle with some "handle extenders" and try to break the shaft loose from the inside of sprocket. Maybe easier said than done.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

I'll try that on the next one. When this sprocket came off the the crud of the shaft was not extensive. I'm surprised it put up a big fight.

After a time out for family I started on the front sprocket. When I used the gear puller again, the gear bent. Tried torquing while hot per suggestion above. No progress. Next step was heating sprocket tube with a big torch (dull orange) and slam hammer. No progress. Next I slit the sprocket tube on each side up to the cross hole. Finally able to remove it with the gear puller. I can weld the slits up and unbend the gear, I hope.

4 to go.

Removed the middle axle. This required cutting out a slot in the inside bearing and removing the balls. The triple gear sprocket was loose and slid off easily. Once the axle was out of the tub I cut off the outer bearing. On post inspection it was rusted inside the race.

3 to go.

The last 3 are out. I slit the gear length-wise with a cutting torch to pull it off. The middle triple gear sprocket had a frozen thru bolt which required grinding it off on both sides down to the shaft. The last one came apart easy like Mike's video. Go figure.

Next step is to clean up the frame and send it out for galvanizing.
    Last edited by kpike52; 11-22-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: update progress

+ Reply to Thread