1978 Max II Running Again!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Max II Running Again!!

1978 Max II Running Again!!

I traded for this Max II last weekend and got it running today for the first time in a few years. It has a 440 Kohler 2 stroke and that thing really runs! This thing is scary fast! Took me a little while to figure out how the levers made it turn and go in reverse. It steers just like a dozer, but I didn't realize at first that the levers had to be pulled back to go in reverse. I am definitely going to have to do a tranny rebuild. It leaks oil and the left lever bottoms out and it barely steers to the left. I don't think adjusting it will do any good as I'm pretty sure it's just plain wiped out. I hope the drums are good. I'm gonna have to do axle bearings on it too eventually. The ones in it now have no grease fittings. Do I just get new flanges with fittings so I can grease it in the future? I was also wondering if my Max is a Big Max. I have seen some others refer to the big 2 stroke Max as a Big Max.
    Looking forward to lots of 6 wheelin' fun!

Mike

"Your friendly neighborhood junk collector"

Good work on getting her running!! And now time for the tuning... :P

I had a Big Max, but it didnt have the original engine in it. I believe the Big Maxes came with either a 440 JLO or a 440 Kawasaki. Im not exactly 100% sure on that though. I know Recreatives also made a Lil Max model.......I ll have to post up a picture of one sometime. Good luck with the machine, you'll have lots of fun.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'm not even real sure this 440 Kohler is the original engine. Can't seem to find much info on the old Max's.
    Mike

Nice ride!

This looks very identical to my 76 big max (if you look at your serial number tag, you will see a faint imprint under model). I've heard of the 440 jlo or kawasaki's being the original engines as well. Mine came with a 503 rotax engine (i'm still working on getting it to be blazing fast). I'm starting to get into my bearings and axles right now too - and no grease fittings on mine either.

I bought the 11th Big Max off the assembly line in 1972 It came with a 440 JLO Serial#3075. The only markings to my knowledge was the stickers, One on the front, and one on each side.
    Whipper

I remember the Big Max with the JLO, but I think they changed over in later production to a 440 Kawasaki fan-cooled. As far as I can remember, they never came from the factory with a Kohler, but it's still a great powerplant for the machine. Good luck on the project- looks like fun.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Whipper, was your Big Max a pretty quick machine? I had a Max II that was basically just a frame with a seat on it and it had a CDI 440 CCW powering it. It was a super fast machine.....and quite scary because there were no 5 point harnesses or anything holding you in.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    I bought the 11th Big Max off the assembly line in 1972 It came with a 440 JLO Serial#3075. The only markings to my knowledge was the stickers, One on the front, and one on each side.
    Whipper

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Yea it was real fast. It was a wheelie machine. The first year I raced it, I finished in the top 3 every time. I won the B stock class at the summer nationals in Monroe, MI. with it. I beat Scott Slonacker fair & square.That race actually paid $300.00. I thought I was rich.
    Whipper

I believe my Max is a Big Max now. I was looking through some papers that I got with the machine and it appears that the previous owner did some research with the serial number and had written down that it was a 1978 Big Max a couple of times. He had also written down that it had a 440 JLO engine. He may have swapped the Kohler for the JLO. I was supposed to get a spare engine with the machine, but it seems like someone scrapped it at some point because it can't be found. It may have been a JLO, but I'll never know. Does anyone reproduce those "Big Max" decals? Sure would be nice to have a set.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread