Stronger Starter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Starter

Stronger Starter

Myself and Fred have ran into a problem with our engine rebuilds. Our stock starters do not have power to turn the engine over fast enough for a start. I know its not a lack of battery power or cranking amps. We used fully charged batteries and even jumped it from my car while it was running without any success. I am still going to change out the battery on my Max II but is there a stronger/performance starter out there that will fit my Bando/18hp block engine?
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

call performance v-twins, the bado's they build all have them, but im not sure about and 18 hp, i know my 23 hp that i hade built has one, good luck

thanks for the info Wfo

Briggs Vanguard Hi Torque starter #808726 Will fit 16-23hp

You can buy them on the ole interweb and save 150.00
    Last edited by Nubs; 12-21-2013 at 07:31 AM.

I've got one of the more potent starters on my B&S 23hp in the Argo. Its for sure a step up. I know from what the local B&S dealer told me that the oem starters are designed to go go out at around 200 hours, mine made it to 250. He also mentioned that they are very heat sensitive which is what I found as well.

hi ,
    There are 2 different high power starter motors
    If the engine is built by 600 Racing [bandolero ] it will have the non auto style but long body Briggs starter
    The longer body allows for more windings to make the starter more powerful .
    part no 691564

The most heavy duty starter is as listed above
    automotive solenoid type no 808726
    www.Cubcadetsuperstore $$ 105
    Amazon $$ 132
    These staters were around $$ 240

The most important item to remember is that at least 450 cold cranking amp battery should be used . This will allow the starter to current draw around 290 amps . CCAmps is not the same as the actual current draw . Most typical auto starters draw 275--350 amps .
    USE the largest cable possible to the starter to batt auto size or larger
    The earth size from battery to engine block 3/8 od or larger

tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 12-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.

That is an awesome site Tomo. I was thinking I would have to be looking at a $320 price tag but that is way less than what I was looking at.

Great info Nubs, Noel and Tomo, thanks!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I was able to find another 808726 starter for $89.96 with free shipping

New Starter John Deere Lawn Tractor LG808726, 808498

Just showin' the difference between the 600 and stock, this style is not worth much IMO

+ Reply to Thread