heated throttle cable

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: heated throttle cable

heated throttle cable

Fairly new with the 6x6 max IV ,I have the heated throttle cable,was just wondering if anyone can recommend a lubricant, and do you normally leave it on during the cold driveing conditions or just switch it on from time to time?

John,
    I bought the maintenance kit from R.I. which included a throttle cable lube kit ( although I must confess I haven't broken the kit in yet ).

From a quick search online I found the Max Throttle cable lube kit for $23.99 ( Price List ). You might also want to call R.I. and ask them how much for the kit.

I flip the heater on whenever the temp is cold ( by Southern perception ) or whenever I'm running under wet conditions. I read somewhere ( possibly the manual ) that the heater also helps to drive moisture out which should help with the life of the cable.

chris

if you want a lube kit, dennis kirk sells the same kit that ri sells for about $10

Acc Switch

Im Guessing The Heater Throttle Runs Off The Acc Switch ?

Cool Thottle cable lube kit

How do i contact kirk for a kit?

I think that egoperf was referring to the company: DennisKirk - Production Website Home page

If you are not in a hurry to lube the cable...remove it from the machine. Punch a hole the size of the cable in a zip lock bag. Stick the cable end up through the hole and secure it with a rubber band. Fill the bag with some 3 in 1 or or some light weight oil. Let the cable hang from the bag overnight with the other end in a can to collect the oil. The oil will flow through the cable and lube it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN 317 View Post
    Fairly new with the 6x6 max IV ,I have the heated throttle cable,was just wondering if anyone can recommend a lubricant, and do you normally leave it on during the cold driveing conditions or just switch it on from time to time?
    When the ambient temperature is cold and I am first starting out for the day and before I start the engine, I squeeze the throttle a little to see if it's stiff. If it is, I turn on the heated cable switch for a little bit to free it up the cable before I hit the key start. After I get it started, I'll keep the switch on for a few minutes until the throttle is nice and loose. If it's raining or snowing and the throttle handle is getting wet, I'll heat the cable for a while on and off while I am operating to try to keep the cable dry. When it gets real cold out and can tell the throttle is getting stiff, the heater goes back on. You will have to experiment on yours to see what works best. When the temperature is well below zero, I use the heater a lot.

Keeping the plastic bag over the throttle does wonders for keeping a lot of moisture from finding it's way down the cable.

I use the throttle lube from RI.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

when my cable is frozen i turn my switch on and it thaws in less than 2 min i rember back in the day before heated cables we had to let the max sit and idle for up to a half hour before the throttle would work i lube mine with the ri kit
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

where can I buy a heated throttle cable any sudjestion for a max 2 the guy said that was the only problem with the machine it freezes in the cold

+ Reply to Thread