Max Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max Questions

Max Questions

Hello All,

I am a new proud owner of a Max and I believe it is a Max II. Six wheel drive two seater and I believe it is about a 1985 or so.
    Many questions I have I would like to ask. But I will go one at a time.
    1. It comes standard with 11x21 rawhide? I would like to increase the ground clearance as I need to get across railroad tracks to get to the main trail. And man is it a job to get over without getting hung up. I think just an inch or two would make all the differance in the world for me.
    I am located in New Brunswick Canada and I have yet to see another Max. Some Argos but never a Max so Man do I feel "UNIQUE" It's great

yep thats a max2, the eazy bigger tire with no extra work is 22x11x8 rawhideIII,you can make other sizes fit, but it requires heating and reshaping your lower body

I read that the new 24" Argo tires are suppose to also fit the Max II. I think if you go to MaxRule's web site, not sure of the link but you can find him in the members list, you will see photos of a Max II with 24" Argo tires.

If I were you, I would go with the 22" Goodyear Rawhide III tires for the best price, traction, and ride quality. I have many 6 wheelers and so do my friends that are equipped with these tires and they are by far one of the best tires for amphibs such as the Max II or Attex. I got through some serious mud with these tires and rode many miles this weekend at the Humphrey NY Amphibious ATV ride (AATV). I got through the biggest mud bog on the trail and rode for many miles without any pain or soreness in my back. These tires are super durable, they last a super long time, and they're inexpensive at a mere $40 something dollars per tire. Good luck and happy AATVing!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thank you for the info

I think I will go for the easy fix first, the Goodyear Rawhide III (22") Trouble I have is the terrain I am often in tears my tires apart. I am thinking of filling them with cement (just kidding). I do a lot of rocky trails, not like round brook rock, jagged stuff. I really would like a tire that could hold up better. I am not sure that there is such a beast that will on a skid steer.
    Now I have been working on this Max and thought I was a genius (Now, not so much so)
    I want to know will the T20 enable the tires to spin in alternate directions?
    After looking at it I wondered if I put one side in reverse and the other in forward........Now after seeing all you guys out there, I am sure some one has tried it.....
    Mike

First of all, good choice on the tires. If you were taking those Argo tires over rough terrain even for a short period of time, you more than likely would have put gashes in the sidewalls, like so many people have already done to their Argo tires. And replacing these Argo tires are not cheap at all. They are $125 or so EACH. Anyways, the T-20 is fully capable of going in reverse on one side and forward on the other, although it is not set up like this from the factory. One side just stops while the other spins. If you would like to change this around so one side reverses and the other goes forward, you can simply get another Max II shifter/handle mechanism hook it into where the mechanism bolts to the frame and cut another shifter hole in your floor board. Its a little difficult to explain but maybe I could make up a drawing in Microsoft Paint or perhaps somebody has a picture of their machine with this set up.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I recently read a post by some one on Route 6x6 , that did a "split shifter " modification on a Max II , and he said it was not very much trouble at all to do . I also talked to a man on the phne who did a split shifter mod on his Max II,,and he told me he was very happy with the results from the switch .
    He also told me he would not be changing back any time soon. I,m plannintg to do the split shifter mod on my Max IV this coming spring. Its a lot more envoled than doing this to a Max II.

Engine Mods

Now I have seen a lot of ingenius ideas from all you guys. Now I hoipe this one suprises you. My Max has a Pontiac FireFly 3 cylinder. Works good, lots of power and torque, goes like #$%? and is very good on fuel. Not usually associated with lots of power.
    The engine sits in a V frame custom built. I only need to add some mounts as it currently is hard fastened to the frame so I had to strengthen the frame.
    My next two mods are going to be a full dampening suspension for the track kit and of course as mentioned earlier the duel shifter. The trails I go on really require a tight turning radius to get through some of the narrow trails. damn four wheelers.....
    Mike

That is a very cool motor swap in your Max. You might want to talk to one of the members of the Griffin family, who are on 6x6world.com about big motor swaps since they have a Max II with a 4 cylinder Ford engine in it. Also when you run tracks, be sure that you run the outter axle bearing cages so you dont bend any axles. Good luck with everything.

dont 4get to save your 21s for the trax, they dont work with 22s!

+ Reply to Thread