New to Forum - Need Help with Purchase

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum - Need Help with Purchase

New to Forum - Need Help with Purchase

I am new to the forum and need help answering a question regarding the steering lever system on the Max. Although I do not own an AATV at the present time I am leaning toward the Max IV (over an Argo) primarily because it is rear engined.

Here is my question. My wife is disabled (which does not prevent her from riding) and I want her in the front seat next to me. It appears that the steering levers are located in the middle of of the floor, left to right, and prevent two people from sitting comfortably side by side while steering. I have noticed that everyone seems to steer with the levers between their legs. I contacted the factory this morning and their sales staff informed me that the proper way to drive any Max is to sit on the left and have both levers on the outside of your right leg, thus steering across your body. The employee even said he had driven once nearly 2 hours before his hands went numb. This seems very odd to me.

Does anyone make a converter or kit that would move the steering levers to one side or the other to make seating more convenient? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

That is the correct way to drive with two people. The Max is easier to drive if you just loosen the very tight springs that hold the sticks in the forward position. A new Max IV will really give you a work out with those springs. A single rider must sit in the middle to keep everything balanced while on water. I once had an old Sierra Trail Boss 6x6 that had sticks on the left with two individual seats. The driver had to sit on the left, which simply did not work. A single rider could not drive the vehicle in the water, you had to find another rider to balance the boat. The only option would be movable sticks which we simply don't have yet. I really don't think it would be an issue especially after loosening those springs. I drive the vehicles all the time without numb hands (that was dumb of the factory guy to say that - I would like to know who that was). Have you had a chance to drive a Max IV yet?
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Thanks for the Help

Thanks for the tips Brandon. The information helps a lot. No I have not driven a Max IV, or any other Max yet. But the videos on this site certainly make it look like fun. While I live in Minnesota, I plan to use the Max in the New Mexico desert does that present a problem with engine overheating? Again thanks for the input.

I have owned many 6 wheelers including a Max IV. You will have no troubles with over heating in your Max IV at all, especially if you go for the option of a 27HP liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. Very good choice on the Max by the way! They are tried and true with the famous T-20 transmission that offers true 6 wheel drive and is absolutely bullet proof.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The new Argo models that have "quad style" handlebar steering is much easier than the "old style" 2 stick in the Max & older Argos. You & your wife would be VERY comfortable and, with the engine upfront, there is never any cold feet for you or her. Therefore, longer & more enjoyable rides together.
    Just my 2 cents worth!!

The Argo's handle bar steering provides an easier "jump in and drive" for new riders. Once you put some time on a Max - less than one hour - the two sticks will be very natural and easy to control. I for one really love the perfect control you get with a Max. You control each side separately with drive, neutral, and brake rather than just applying a brake like on an Argo.

All vehicles will operate well in hot enviroments like the desert. The Max IV's 27hp or 29hp EFI liquid cooled engines will be right at home. Having all that heat behind you will also make your desert ride more comfortable. In cold weather riding, the Argo will give you a small amount of heat. In hot weather riding, you'll still be getting that heat. Max's engine is behind you so the riders never deal with the heat pouring off the engine, nor the exhaust noise or fumes.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Welcome to the site; Well i have a MAX IV and its my first aatv ,never drove an argo and i have been driving it while sitting in the middle, the other day i took the misses out and we both sat in the front seat, me on the left and at first it was a bit strange but after 10 min it was no problem. Im sure youll be happy with what ever machine you decide on , P/S back seats are for beer coolers and sandwiches,tied a keg once but to much foam.

My 2 cents worth

I have configured my max to enable me to do both rrather easily.
    I found the answer to be a foot pedal to control the throttle. When i sit in the middle I use my left foot. when i have my wife with me I use my left.
    I enjoy the foot control as I always had the hardest time with the throttle on the lever.
    So there is my two cents worth.
    Mike S

Argo for disabled

The Argo steering controls are more central to someone sitting on the right and therefore you can sit straight and have your partner next to you. Another thing to consider is the new Argo Frontier has a lower access height as they have cut down the side slightly, which would make an easier entrance and exit. Don't underestimate the impact of sitting slightly turned for a couple of hours on your back. If you are carrying any extra weight (like me ) around your midsection, then you will have lower back pain. I have always found that most max drivers seems to be leaned over manning the sticks versus an argo which has a higher stick/steering height.

Test drive both for the most accurate opinion.

I think you'll be happy with any of the 6x6's built in the last 5 or so years. Max, rear engine so heat and exhaust behind you in desert, "harder" to drive but everyone else gets used to it and feels comfortable. The argo, a frontier model you could practically drive with one hand, your other around her shoulder. Much better ride quality, no comparison (tires), and a great sand tire.

If you get a carbureted engine, might have to re jet depending on how high you go in NM.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread