Disappointed in my MAX11

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in my MAX11

Disappointed in my MAX11

Folks..

I have to say that I’m little disappointed in my MAX11 performance and capabilities..

Never really had driven an 6X6 before but having lots of experience with Quads, I must say the 6x6 feels a little dodgy and I’m sure I will get some negative feedback for this .. but more dangerous.

Don’t get mad at me, I’m just sharing my thoughts I spent about 8 months rebuilding this Max and the support from the forum and enjoyment I have had doing it was a fantastic, but I just can’t tell how disappointed I was with the machines capabilities..

My son and I went for ride, him on his quad and me in the Max, he definitely go could places I could not “water excluded”. I chalk some of this up to my lack of seat time in 6x6 but holy cow; he killed me on the hills.
    Once on a hill that I did not make, I had a heck of time.. How do back down safely with any kind of control, I tried once to shift into reverse from forward on another unsuccessful hill climb hill and away she went as I passed through neutral..Scared me to death..!! Once going down a steep hill I lost control because of motor torque, I let it slip a little and then push slightly forward on the laterals and Whaomo..Sideways.. Next time I’m on snowy/icy road” we had snow storm here “ I was not going that fast and I hit an icy spot, Whamo.. Sideways into the ditch..

Don’t get me wrong folks, I love the 6x6 and I’m, hoping that it grows on me more as I become a better and more skilled operator, but for bush work and tight trails I just cants see it as being anywhere as good as my sons quad.

Ok.. Ok.. Let me have it.. Call me a trader or pls tell me that I’m doing something wrong..

I put so much work into this machine and love the whole concept, but first ride out was a bust..

Max..
    Maxheadroom..!!

what size engine do you have?
    a lot of it is experience with these things

seat time!!!!

Max, I too was dissappointed the first time I took my Max4 out. I bought it 2 months ago and had some work to do before I got to ride and like you have plenty of 2,3 and 4 wheel riding under my belt. I dreamed for weeks what it was going to be like when I first hit the trails and mud but was stuck in the first 5 minutes. What? I thought, stuck already? It sure seems like we should just jump in and wow, here we go but it really takes time to get used to your machine. After several rides to the same mud hole now I do doughnuts and cross it sideways,back through and laugh when my 4 wheeler friends ask me to pull them out!!!! Up hill is very scary for me still and I have been told the same thing I'm telling you," learn your machine and what it will do for you alittle at a time." If you aren't comfortable now just remember when you got your 4 wheeler sideways on a steep slope and how many little green apples you had to clean out of your shorts!!?? The power your unit has is a BIG deal. You can over power a hill and it will bounce you around so I go slow and steady the same in sandy creek beds ( gun it and your stuck!!!) Be ready when you hit the water the first time.It can be scary also (alittle tippy)

another thing is to watch videos of people with similar machine and try to figure out what their techniques are

Thanks for the encouragement, I am sticking with it for for a while and do believe my lack of experience as a 6x6 operator had some play in my inabilities to make the machine do what I thought it could do.

It’s only a 16 Hp, I am not expecting miracles from a Vanguard as a big use of mine will be in winter, I can see the need for more power before even thinking of using tracks which is my goal...The 16 hp would definitely not be enough power to grind through some heavy snow and slush.. I figured that out in the first few minutes..

I always wanted one of these things since I was kid, I would bet the average age of this site is in the 40’s and 50’s for the very same reason..”Banana Splits”

Going to stick with it .. Not ready to give up yet.. Have to show my son who’s boss ; Ya know..!!

Thanks Fella’s
    Maxheadroom..!!

Wow, Max, that WAS a heck of a 1st ride. Can you remember how many times you fell off your bicycle before you got it right? And I'll bet you practiced on flat ground not on a hill.

You just need more stick time on some less extreme terrain. Your story reminds me of the time 35+ years ago when Whipper got his 1st Max. He headed straight for a golf course in Cleveland & rolled it down a hill (without a roll bar). Fortunately, he was with friends that could help pull it off him. He's learned a lot since then.

Your Max will probably never be able to "compete" with a quad on a hill, but once you get the hang of it, you'll still get there. Biggest problem new riders have on a hill is not holding the sticks forward which is easy not to do since that's what your hands are holding while your going up. Horsepower is nice when hill climbing.

The icy spot actually sounded like fun, but that's just me.

My suggestion is practice, practice, practice & you'll realize that you're really not disappointed in your Max II at all. It takes a while to get the hang of them, but when you do they're a blast.

Bridget

smiles

Max, My wife saw your post and my reply. She wanted to let you know when she saw me come home after that 1st ride, my face said ,what did I buy this thing for???! Now when my boys and I come home she says it's a total turn around and we can't stop smiling for 2 or 3 hours and can't wait to go again!!! Dont give up yet and when you get the hang of it ,make sure you post the pictures of your smiles!!!!!!!!!!

more stick time

like bridget said more stick time grade up in terain . My friend took bruiser for a ride after i rode him around for about a half hour. And after driving himself really ,held on afterwards with me because he said he could not beleive how fast a tight i could make bruiser move. He said he had trouble getting it to turn a stay on the trail. and i told him of all my mishaps HITTING A FEW TREES AND COMING DOWN A HILL BACKWARDS. AND I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE MAKE HILLS ALOT MORE HANG IT THERE IT GETS ALOT MORE FUN::

Thanks again folks.. You have all made me feel a lot better..

You’re so right.. How counter intuitive it is to push on the laterals when you’re going up a hill, who the heck thought that one up... .. That was a dirty trick..!! LOL.

And as they say…!! If it was that easy, Everyone would be doing it..

Cheers..

Max...
    Maxheadroom..!!

Smile "Other aatv's"

You guys wonder why i have amphicats? alot less "problems" No winch required either...

+ Reply to Thread