Gas pedal for throttle?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas pedal for throttle?

Gas pedal for throttle?

Ok guys has any one ever used a gas paddle instead of a throttle on the handle ,,is there a way to put a new throttle on my MaxIV some where besides the handle ,,is really makes my hand go to sleep .Any help with this would be very helpful ,,thanks jim

Try searching the site. This has been asked a couple of times before and you should be able to find some good info. Here's one to get you started: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...ottle-mod.html

To me, your feet bounce around too much to make a gas pedal effective but I won't say that to jerseybigfoot when he blows by me in his blackbird.

Personally I think that the stick throttle can be used to a much better advantage. I,ve had times when I had to unweight my tub because of being stuck ,and I was able to free myself by standing beside my Max IV and working the throttle from outside the tub. This would not have been possible with the foot throttle. Some thing to think about.

Mike the Blackbird foot throttle is more of an on off switch. It takes effort to modulate. My daughters Scrambler Marc 12 is the same way. The big advantage with the hand throttle is if you want to rock the machine when you get stuck.
    maybe you have too much spring tension on the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    maybe you have too much spring tension on the throttle.
    That makes a huge difference. Sometimes a worn cable is fixed by adding spring tension. I would check into that and make sure the cable is lubed and in good working order. Also all linkage need to work smoothly. Try to lessen the spring tension. Just use caution when messing with that and be ready to hit the key if needed or you may be up for a ride

I had that same problem until I tried hooking the cable up to the main linkage from the governor. That completely over rides the governor but also the governor works as the spring and pulls the throttle back. It is so effortless. When the motor isn't running and you hit the throttle it just sits there. I remember Don saying something about that sort of scared him when he got in it with out it running, lol. But is probably one of my best mods. It is different on your machine but to give you an idea I will attach a picture because its easier then explaining, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Personally I think that the stick throttle can be used to a much better advantage. I,ve had times when I had to unweight my tub because of being stuck ,and I was able to free myself by standing beside my Max IV and working the throttle from outside the tub. This would not have been possible with the foot throttle. Some thing to think about.
    I like the hand throttle and springs on the laterals for this reason. Hell, I've been stuck enough in the Pit I had to drive the Wolf out while hanging from a tree
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Got my throttle hooked to another brake lever on the other side. Works awesome!!! Very comfy too
    Dezi Gebel
    2 Early 70's Argo's Will Merge To Make One!

dezi what do you mean,,can you post a pic

i hooked up 2 throttles in my trail machine. one on each stick. i mainly did it so that i can use either hand on the stick while standing up rocking the machine to get unstuck from a mud pit, but another bonus is that i can switch hands when one gets tired. i used mtn bike brake levers and they seem to have more leverage than the stock setup. most bike shops sell cable housing in bulk so you can get whatever length you need. i did have to order cables for a tandem bicycle (i can get a name and part # if needed). make sure to grease the cable as you feed it into the housing. the only issue i've had was with the cable freezing one time. i haven't figured out a way to heat this setup yet, but here in NC it's only an issue once or twice a year. here is a link to the thread about the mod with pictures. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...ottle-mod.html
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've made a gas pedal out of a large barn door hinge,the throttle cable is just long enough for this.I had to heat the floor panel around the pedal so it wouldn't interfere.Works great and I wouldn't go back to the factory set up.

+ Reply to Thread