axle to long ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: axle to long ?

axle to long ?

Hey guys i just got a new axle from route 6x6 and it is about 3/8 longer than the one i took out of it .Will it still work as long as i line up the chain in the right place .I all so got the bearing for it ,, it looks cheaper than the one that came off of it ,,but it is what it is ,,any way any help here would really make this job go faster ,,i hope i dont have to send it back

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    You are correct as long as your sprockets line up. But you will probably need extra shims to make up for the extra length.

exrta shims where ,,,in the chain tensioners ?

the axle i got from them was the same way and the hole for the sprocket was to small to had to drill it to the right size but its been working great .
    max2 with 3000lb winch,split shifter, off road lights, and 50 amp alternator

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepossum66 View Post
    exrta shims where ,,,in the chain tensioners ?
    Sorry about that Awesome, it was kinda late when I replied to this one so let's start over. I see that your user title says Mudd Hogg MAX IV, so I can only guess that you're talking about Max IV axles. There are several types of axles for this machine, depending how old it is. So... are we talking about the early hollow axle/bolt through sleeve, the slightly newer solid axle/bolt through sleeve, the even newer splined, or the latest splined with snap rings? By sleeve I'm talking about the sprocket sleeve. If yes to either of the first 2 types, then you should only have to allign your sprockets and lock the collars on the bearings and tighten everything up. If yes to the second or third tpyes, then there should be shims,which look like large washers of various thicknesses for the small(inner bearing) end of the axle. They are used to locate the sprockets in their correct position. Hope that clears things up more.
    Last edited by brushcutter; 04-10-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Because first is not spelled frist and this is a period . not this >

Well i fixed axle today by cutting off 3/8 of it ,, it is now 16 7/8 long ,,then i drill out the hole and made it 7/16 i put it back together.Then i pulled the axle out of the inside bearing a little so the sprockets lined up ,,,,,when i did this the tire on this axle was in 3/8 closer to the tub ,,so i put a 3/8 round plate between the back of the wheel and axle plate where the wheel bolts on to the axle so now every thing looks good so far .. I just want to say thanks to every one on this site for there help .

there could have been a mixup in the brand of the unit, argo axles are about 7/16" shorter than max axles
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

+ Reply to Thread