Max IV 18hp vangaurd bog

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV 18hp vangaurd bog

Max IV 18hp vangaurd bog

I just want to pick you fellers brains for a minute on a small problem I've noticed with my Max. I've only had time to test ride it in the field across the way since I bought it, but I've noticed that if I make a sharp left turn under full throttle it does fine, but if I make a sharp right it bogs down and almost dies, but then recovers. Have any of you ever experianced this? I also noticed that the clear fuel filter is never full; it gets just enough gas in it to touch the element inside.

BTW, I cleaned the carb and installed a new fuel pump when I bought it, but it did sit a lot over the years.

Thanks!

I have an argo with the same motor. I am experiencing similar issues- sometimes more noticable uphill. I just replaced all my fuel lines, checked the line to the tank and cleaned the carb-jets. I plan on installing new plugs and air filter tom. waiting for a fuel pump. damn new gas eats rubber, and after sitting i think my diaphram is not makeing 1psi. I have only really noticed it up hill, but have lost power on level ground and 'jerked' home.

For your max that is probably because the fuel line petcock / pickup at the bottom of the tank is on the right hand side. When you turn sharp to the right without a full tank, the fuel sloshes away from the line. If you have a white/translucent tank you should just be able to look at the fuel while you turn to the right and see if that's what is actually happening. Or you could fill it all the way up see if that helps.

That's an inexpensive start to diagnosing the problem.

For your fuel filter, that is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Castro View Post
    I have an argo with the same motor. I am experiencing similar issues- sometimes more noticable uphill. I just replaced all my fuel lines, checked the line to the tank and cleaned the carb-jets. I plan on installing new plugs and air filter tom. waiting for a fuel pump. damn new gas eats rubber, and after sitting i think my diaphram is not makeing 1psi. I have only really noticed it up hill, but have lost power on level ground and 'jerked' home.
    My problem is I don't have any point of reference for how strong it should run, as it was running on one cylinder when I brought it home due to a fouled plug. I cleaned out the tank (just a small amount of debris), blew out the fuel line, installed a new fuel filter, installed new E3 plugs, installed a new fuel pump, and cleaned out the carb. Maybe it just needs a good days worth of run time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    For your max that is probably because the fuel line petcock / pickup at the bottom of the tank is on the right hand side. When you turn sharp to the right without a full tank, the fuel sloshes away from the line. If you have a white/translucent tank you should just be able to look at the fuel while you turn to the right and see if that's what is actually happening. Or you could fill it all the way up see if that helps.

That's an inexpensive start to diagnosing the problem.
    For your fuel filter, that is normal.
    I thought of that, but it's got about 4.5 gallons in it so it should be ok. Plus, the carb should be full of enough gas that a momentary fuel shortage shouldn't have any effect on it, but I'm no expert on Briggs engines.

Thanks for the fuel filter info! At least I know that is normal.

I'm thinking of putting the original fuel pump back on, as I changed it when I was trying to solve the running problem it had when I first got it. Maybe the new one is junk.

i've always had the same issue with the 18 vanguard in my wild wolf. it really only does it when i'm doing doughnuts. i've been scratching my head on this problem for almost a year. i'm about convinced that on a really hard turn, the fuel in the bowl of the carb is sloshing away from the pickup. mind does it even with a full tank of gas ans it happens almost instantly... too quick for an air bubble to make it from the tank to the engine
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

check float level may be out of adj.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    i've always had the same issue with the 18 vanguard in my wild wolf. it really only does it when i'm doing doughnuts. i've been scratching my head on this problem for almost a year. i'm about convinced that on a really hard turn, the fuel in the bowl of the carb is sloshing away from the pickup. mind does it even with a full tank of gas ans it happens almost instantly... too quick for an air bubble to make it from the tank to the engine
    Yep, that's exactly what mine does. Only when I give it full throttle with the right lever pulled back hard, and it recovers right before it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    Yeah, I may pull it apart again here when I have a few spare minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    mine has a plastic, non adjustable float... now there is a brilliant idea!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread