Hello to all, just purchased a 1999 Max iv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello to all, just purchased a 1999 Max iv

Hello to all, just purchased a 1999 Max iv

Hello everyone , im James and I just purchased a 1999 Max Iv
    I am in need of a few parts and was wondering if anyone could help me out on where to purchase these things. I have found richards reclics, and Recreatives. I bought this 6x6 with intentions of reparing it and selling it, but im considering keeping it, so I truely want things fixed right. It was purchased new by my neighbor in 99 and sat with a tarp over it since 2002. Once I cleaned the piles of pine needles from it and gave it an inspection, it needs all new chains, 2 tensions sprockets, and 1 outer wheel bearing. The Problem I am having, is the side that needs the wheel bearings, had a little water in there and rusted the axle, sprockets and do not want to come off, I've already drilled the rusted set screws out, but no luck. So my worse case, is that I just cut the axle off and replace it all. The other 11 bearings seem to be nice and tight. 18hp Vanguard fired up with no problems, and trans appears to shift. The body is in excellent conditon, and also came with a roll cage. 21 in tires. If anyone has any of the parts im looking for please contact me at chevyguy7144@aol.com or on here, as i will check often. Thanks

Welcome ChevyGuy....

It sounds like you need some pretty generic supplies, save for the axle if you have to cut it. Bearings and chain for these are readily available at almost any industrial supply store. Grainger, McMaster Carr, Buffalo Bearing, MotionMRO are all suppliers of good, quality bearings and chain. If you need an axle, I'd go right to the manufacturer, and call up Jay at Recreatives. The same goes for the sprocket. Since you're talking about set-screws, i imagine you have the splined axles? The sprocket will likely come off with great difficulty if the splines are rusted, but you may still be able to get it. You may have luck with heat and a slide hammer, or you may want to just cut the axle as you say, and save yourself a lot of headache and banging on the frame. If it sat outside for a long time (even under a tarp) it may be a good time to drain the T-20 transmission and refill it with one quart of ATF. Sitting for a long time may have let some condensation in there, and the drums may have a little surface rust, too. I would definitely double check the trans before you take it for a spin.

good luck!
    ~m

Thanks for the information Hydro, I will be sure to change the t20 fluid, I've been working on the banging trick with heat, and it appears I have bent a sprocket. I haven't tried the slide hammer yet, but I just don't feel like it will come out without causing severe damage to the chassis.I called Rellics and got a price of around 145 for axle and 135 for sprocket + chains and couple bearings would be around $600.00 I don't want to put a bunch of money into it, if I descide to sell it. Ive check ebay for prices and there arnt very many around for sale. I was thinking about the $3000.00 mark is what a 99 will bring . Without fixing it, I would let it go for half that.

i called recreative 2 weeks ago about an axle for a Max II, and they are out of their minds on price (unless the axles are gold plated, but they didn't mention that)! a local machine shop should be able to make you one, or contact site member whipper-ag (note, he is out of town for a few weeks so reply might be slow)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When I called recreatives , to find out the year of this max Iv, they emailed me a price parts list, and Yes I agree most things on there must have had a tint of gold with it.

Post where you live. You may have a near by member willing to help, or take it off your hands. $1500 sounds reasonable to me, sight unseen.

I live in Birch Run Mi if anyone is interested, Im going to attempt the slide hammer trick this morning, in order to save the axle.

You can unbolt the outside bearing flange and it may help you without the added drag of pulling the axle through the bearing. Sometimes they use 2 set screws in the sprockets. Will the sprocket move at all?

I have unbolted both flanges, and drilled out all set screws with the idea of just tapping new ones in. Attempted the slide hammer this morning, Never budged. Heated with torch still no go. I've given this about 6 hours of my time, so sad to say, I torched the axle off. So now i just need to find a good deal on a axle, bearings, chain, sprockets.

I just listed the max on ebay if you check the for sale section you can find the link if anyone is interested.

+ Reply to Thread