why is there a metal strut bet. bearing cages?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why is there a metal strut bet. bearing cages?

why is there a metal strut bet. bearing cages?

Hi All,

My 2003 Max IV has the external bearing cages for mounting tracks. On both sides, there is a metal bar running from the cage on the back axles to the cage on the middle axles. Its flat iron, about 1/8", mounted with an extra nut on one of the cage mounting bolts.

Why is it there? Is it standard or did the previous owner put it in (can't talk to him)? It worries me because there is a bit less than an inch between the bar and the rubber of the two tires. Looks like a good way to shred a tire and little else to me, but I don't know - no experience with these extra bearing cages.

any ideas?

I believe that is an owner "add-on". My Max II (and I think the Max IV as well) uses a rail that connects all three bearing cages together spreading out the axle stress across all three axles.When it is used for the tracks both models use wheel extensions (5" on the Max II and I think 3" on the Max IV) this way the rubber clears the rail easily.I hear of more axle trouble with the Max IV than the Max II not sure why.Maybe the Max IV using the bigger wheels.The least strain is on the middle axle,I would think the most on the front yet the Max IV's I know of having axle trouble was always on the back.The factory rail is long enough to span all three axles is made of channel steel about 4 1/2" wide the channel is about 3/4" deep and it has cutouts to drop down over the axle and bolt holes to match those on the outer bearing cages.

Thanks, Eldon. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a picture of that factory rail.

Here's a dumb question (but I've never had tracks)....is this stabilization needed when the tracks are on only, or is it necessary for non-track use too? WIth those cages on, the wheels are pretty far out, and with 26inch tires on there, i guess the stress would be considerable. But if I can go mucking about until such a time as i can get such a rail (or make one) that would be oh so cool...I don't use tracks anyway (at least not yet). I can think of easier ways to freeze my family jewels off at 40'.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Hi All,

My 2003 Max IV has the external bearing cages for mounting tracks. On both sides, there is a metal bar running from the cage on the back axles to the cage on the middle axles. Its flat iron, about 1/8", mounted with an extra nut on one of the cage mounting bolts.

Why is it there? Is it standard or did the previous owner put it in (can't talk to him)? It worries me because there is a bit less than an inch between the bar and the rubber of the two tires. Looks like a good way to shred a tire and little else to me, but I don't know - no experience with these extra bearing cages.

any ideas?
    There are plates on each side that run from the front the middle to the back which are factory original parts, but if it only connects the middle and rear it was an owner add on. All new Maxes with tracks come with a plate that connects all 3 axles on each side. My 2001 Max II with tracks has it and so do all of the current Maxes that Recreatives makes. A friend of mine who is an engineer for Recreatives told me that it helps because it makes the Max track system components stronger.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

hi there; the reason your tires are sticking out so far is the hub extentions bolted on behind your tires, the bar running from the rear axle to the middle probably is simply broken off at the middle and used to go all the way to the front, if you are not running tracks then take the bar off and remove the hub extentions behind your tires and leave the brg cages in place they will continue to add support to your axles

Thanks, Ron. I'll take a look at that when it comes back from the garage. Had to get the carb done -Max was sitting too long and wouldn't run properly. Well, not right after....first a ride!

+ Reply to Thread