max IV axle bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: max IV axle bearings

max IV axle bearings

recently i replaced all 12 axle bearings on my max IV. today i was going to re-tighten my chains and grease my bearings when i noticed that my rear axle on the driver's side had a problem. i saw that the outer locking collar on my bearing had moved away from the lip on the bearing. after taking the wheel off, i saw that the lip on the bearing had broken a small piece off and was inside the locking collar. this is what i found to be the case after i first brought this machine home and started to give it a good going over. also the inside bearing is showing the same thing. is there a problem with my frame or do i have some kind of miss-alignment problem. any and all help is greatly welcome

Jack up that side of the Max and put it in Neutral. Spin the tires and watch the drivetrain to see if anything is out of alignment. If it is you should be able to see some "wobble" somewhere. That is strange.

You might load the bearing collars incorrectly if the axles are severely pitted.

I have seen people put 63 mm brgs where 62mm brg should be , it is so little that you can not even hardly notice , but when the loc collar is tightened up it breaks the inner race just like what happened to you, double check your brg size is correct for that model unit
    the new brg should have been somewhat difficult to slide on the shaft, usually i have to emery cloth the shafts perfectly clean to get the fresh brg on, if it went on without having to clean the shaft perfectly, it's probably the wrong brg
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

purchased all my bearings from Richard's and they did not slide on without first having to clean-up the axles with emery paper. none of the shafts are pitted , and i replaced one on the front right side. i do notice that when i ride on un-even ground, it seems as though the frame/body twists as i go over the un-even surface.

frame twist is normal..i think you just may have bought a fractured bearing

If you feel that there is excessive twist in your frame, I would check all the crossmember welds for cracks espesialy the rear corner, ive had to repair welds there before, it may also explain your excessive end play in the axle shaft that may force the keeper locs off the brgs
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

if you decide to replace the bearing just make sure when its apart you ck all welded areas
    where the axle is mounted..inner and outer

just came inside from greasing the remaining bearings , and i found that both inside and outside bearings on the NEW axle i replaced have also broken the lips off the bearings and the locking collar is about 1/8 inch away from the bearing.

What brand are the bearings

+ Reply to Thread