greasing bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: greasing bearings

My experience is a little different.I bought my Max II when it had 34 hours on it.It was five years old though.The first season in water it was O.K. leaking in about a gallon or two after nearly an hour.I ran tracks the first winter. The next season with about 125 hours on it,it leaked like a sieve.I wasn't sure what to blame it on.......overgreasing or the use of tracks stressing the front and back bearings.I suspect over greasing.It currently has a bit over 200 hours and it would not be safe to take in water for more than a few minutes.I can't detect any play in the bearings.I do have bearing extensions and if the innermost bearing is good and the outermost as well then mechanically I don't believe one could get any movement anyway even if the center bearing was not even installed.I fear the line between properly greased and over greased is a very fine one.

Eldon, if you pop out a seal, it's plain as day, the seal is outside the race, around the axle, not in the bearing as it should be. I can't see "Over greasing" causing the issue, the seals are held on the outside lip, and touch the inside race, but can't hold pressure. When it's full, it's full, extra just comes out under the seal, around the axle. I only popped one out of place by being in a big #%& hurry to get out of the cold and pumping real quick. Since the machine had been used in snow etc.. I can't say the seal being colder and less flexible did or did not contribute, but if neither Whipper nor Egoperf have popped out a seal then it was probably a fluke. (I also did not replace those bearings, P.O. did so quality is in question too)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I greased mine in a heated garage and the machine was at room temperature.The seal definitely didn't visually pop out but grease did come out around the axle and seal.I believe the integrity of the seal was compromised.I torqued the bearing flange bolts to spec and there are no signs of external damage to the tub.With the tub filled with water it has gushing leaks around the bearings.Greasing doesn't even slow them.This machine has had very easy hours unless the tracks are too much for the bearings.Water leakage went from a little over a gallon an hour to over two gallons a minute.By the time the leak was excessive the machine had around 100 hours about 30 of these in the snow with tracks.

A while back RI was having problems with the bearing plates they where using. they have since changed suppliers. The plates where not holding the bearing tight and they where leaking. You may want to check.

I appreciate the info Egoperf.I plan to change the bearings and plates out as I investigate.The buzz here is that Buffalo Bearings is a good supplier of quality equipment.

I still buy from Buffalo Bearing, but sometimes there suppliers aren't the highest quality. I've had a lot of problems with some Peer Bearing collars breaking on the eight wheeler (six out of eight, so far), where I've not broken a Fafnir unit. The folks there know what we put our machines through, so if they give you an option of getting a higher-end unit, I'd go with it. They supply an incredible array of products, and are MORE than helpful to lend any knowledge they can. I don't want this to seem like I'm putting them down for any reason. Just know what you're paying for. They're one of the best suppliers for UHMW poly, too. The best price I've found..... They're a distributor with great contacts...

~m

I appreciate this information Hydromike.I have long known that cheapest is never best and in the case of a labor intensive installation I would like the best money can buy.Hopefully these folks have some "best".

I have to agree with HydroMike. I have been using Timkin/Fafnir and they are excellent bearings, Whipper recommended them to me.

ok well i havent installed the the buffalo bearings yet should i check out the timkens? that is what i replaced the hubs in my duramax with was timken and they have a really good warranty on those bearings as long as i own the truck they will replace them, and one question how does the bearing keep water out of itself? o yeh and a good way to find leaks in a max II is fill it up with water.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNMcDANIEL0322 View Post
    ok well i havent installed the the buffalo bearings yet should i check out the timkens? that is what i replaced the hubs in my duramax with was timken and they have a really good warranty on those bearings as long as i own the truck they will replace them, and one question how does the bearing keep water out of itself? o yeh and a good way to find leaks in a max II is fill it up with water.
    Timkin/Fafnir bearings are great. You want double sealed or triple sealed bearings. The triple sealed are for food industry and the story I got was the doubles are as good as the triples at keeping water out. Up to you which you get. Just make sure they're sealed, not shielded. The grease will not stop the water, only the seal will. And yes, filling a macine is a good leak test method, just dry it out afterwards to prevent rusting. That's how I discovered ~4 feet of crack behind skidplates in my Attex Wolf

+ Reply to Thread