greasing bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: greasing bearings

greasing bearings

im bout to install my new bearings and i need to know the time spand i should wait before i grease them do grease them every oil change or what?

if im correct i also read do not over grease them right? just add 1 or two pumps everytime?

John, this is just my opinion: I have a Argo Avenger I grease my machine after each ride. This way i force the grit and grime out of the lip seals and seems to help with the life of the bearings, seals and axles. With these machines due to the small amount of grease that can reach the bearing.....in my opinion you can not over grease them. Also with the axles being made of roll steel rust will act as a lathe and destroy the seals and allow grit and grime and things go down hill after that. I spend about 8 hours cleaning and greasing my machine after each and every ride. This helps find any items that are getting ready to fail and a general all around look over. This includes removing the tires and checking for axle play and greasing, chains and brakes. This may sound a little much but i try to avoid trail break downs........it' to heavy to push!

Hope this helps

hahah yeh thats how i am i try to keep things up to top notch standards. i was reading on here somewhere though if you grease the bearings to often that it would blow the seals out of the bearings is this true?

I think it depends on what "seals" means. My argo bearings have always had metal "shields", and when greasing the brgs grease will just get pushed out around the outer edge of the shield. I don't know about your max bearings.. I will hazard a guess that if they are not full of grease, that just leaves room for water.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

The Max should have rubber sealed bearings, and yes, if you get too enthusiastic about it you can blow out a seal. I don't limit myself to any # of pumps, I go till I get grease squishing out of one side or the other, I just go SLOW, not crazy, just ~ 2-3 seconds to finish each squeeze.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 03:54 PM.

ok well thank you guys for the help ill just put a couple of pumps after i go everytime

John, The grease will come out on the inside of the seal, that's when there's enough, you've pushed water and debris out of the seal, and time to stop.

Whipper, I did pop one out, but to be fair it was cold as #%)@&* out and I wanted to get inside so I MAY have squeezed a little too enthusiastically, I've just been cautious since. (The seal was simple enough to re-install though)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

i.m curious where did you purchase your bearings? i recently got all 12 for my max IV from Richards, and after less than a month, 5 of my locking collars broke and 2 axles moved outward. if someone had warned me about this happening, i would have saved some time and headache by following the thread here about using two split collars on all six axles and to hell with the locking collars. you may want to at least read about those split collars before you dive in and replace your bearings. hope you don't have the same bad luck i did.

when I grease my bearings on my max i jack it up take the tires off and run it in gear so the axles spin slowly as I pump the grease so that I hope it gets the grease all the way around the bearing. Like Wipper I have never blown out a seal. I grease mine after ever ride.

+ Reply to Thread