body scratch fix

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: body scratch fix

body scratch fix

Whats the best thing to use to fix deep scratches in the tub can u use regular body filler or is there something special out ther like a plastic body filler

depends what the body is made of. abs you can make a goo from some scrap abs and acetone. fiberglass... more fiberglass. poly- nothing! poly is a plastic that is made with a lot of oil. nothing sticks to it well. you can take a heat gun to the crack and get the poly really hot. this will soften the look of the scratch, but won't get rid of it. you could also plastic weld the scratch, but the color won't match too well unless it's on black poly
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Try using a heat gun.

You will have to fill it in with more plastic (HDPE). Search the site for plastic welding, there are a few threads out there that talk about what is needed. Basically, you heat up a spare piece of the same color HDPE and fill in the cut with it. If the scratches are not real deep, you may be able to just use a head gun, as shown in the how-to section here on the site, to slowly melt it back together.

I repaired a hole in a max where the chain wrapped around the axle using a propane torch with caution and some black plastic from the lid of a one of the red folgers coffee can. I patched it up until it looked strong and then I melted the thin plastic from the can cover over it all as a mask and it looked really good. Im not sure how well it held up. Buggyman has the max now, have you checked it out Jim? Did it hold or does it still look good? There was some other scratches on it too that I heated up and rolled a socket across to level them out some.

If it's HDPE and it's a stress area, I'm seeing info pointed to the need for shielding gas as in metal welding. Nitrogen is what is called for. If it's needed, or just to prevent easily burning, I don't know, I have NEVER plastic welded, but I do see info that states that using air results in a brittle weld. If this is the case and you use a good amount of heat in a scratch MAYBE it could crack if stressed. I DON'T KNOW, but just be cautious. Calling Evil 8x8 and Dr. Evil, can you confirm/deny this? I'm about to HDPE Weld myself, so info on need or not for Nitrogen is on my mind too.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread