Should I Become a Dealer???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I Become a Dealer???

Question Should I Become a Dealer???

Hello everyone
    I'm fairly new to this site and am real impressed. This is a great web site and I trust the opinions the people on here. My question is about selling the MAX utv's. I did a little research and think am trying to decide if I should start selling the MAX's in my area. The local ARGO dealer passed away (was a great guy) and now there is no amphibious dealers here. The MAX representative sent me the info. on selling and said I do not have to carry inventory or more than one machine that I can sell right from my home. I don't want to get over my head in this economy. Is the market for these machines good? Is there any thing that I don't know about that somebody out there might know, that might want to share there knowledge. OK I'm rambling and I'll wait for your great ideas and opinions. Thanks again to all of you.

Well I think only you could really answer that question but how well did the argo dealer do? Sounds like RI will work with you with only one machine. Maybe go out and talk to people around you and see if anybody is interested. Try local hunting clubs or atv tracks and go out and talk to them I guess. My guess if the argo dealer was doing ok then you may also. Just remember that if they say the are they are probably not. Maybe put your number out there before you go to deep and see if anybody reaches you? Another option might be to just ask RI about it. Im sure they can help give you pointers that you could look for and see if the local economy/market is possibly interest? Just an idea. I really cant help much but it would be cool to be a dealer I think.

LarryW
    Thanks for the reply, I like your advice. I'm not really sure how well the argo guy did, but he had the business for about 20 years. My wife and I owned a different business for 25 years and boy what a headache. Although this kind of sales is something that I could really enjoy. I'm going to do some asking around. I do like the idea of having the minimal amount of stock on hand without having to carry a large amount of inventory. Thanks Larry and by the way, what kind of machine do you have, whats your opinions of the MAX machine?

Hey Wheeler,

It sounds like you know the pitfalls of owning a business in the family, so i won't try to lend any advice there. If you've already talked to RI, then I'm assuming you talked to Galen at the factory. I know that the domestic market is lacking a bit when compared to the overseas market as far as the Max products go. I don't know the "ins" of the business, but Galen has been there quite a while, and knows what works and what does not. It's possible that you could tap into a local market that hasn't seen a lot of action as far as the Max line goes. Of course, the risk is there as well. I think that only you can know what the AATV scene is in your particular region, and combine that with what the marketing division (Galen and Jay) at Max knows/know about their product and you may have a winning combination. They're a bunch of down to earth guys over at RI. Give them a call personally and let them know what things are like in your area. I think they'll give very frank advice, what to watch out for, and the errors others may have made....

~m

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    Thanks Larry and by the way, what kind of machine do you have, whats your opinions of the MAX machine?
    I have had several different makes and models of machines but never a Max or an Argo. I do have local friends who has though and I have helped work on there machines and have drove them around. I really like the Max but I have seen some weakness in the framework on them. These were old machines and new machines are built completely different. If I had the money to buy new I would probably go Max mainly because I like the t-20. I passed up on driving a new Argo with the new HDI trans. but maybe next year. I don't think they make a 6x6 version with that trans though so that would rule that out anyways. I prefer smaller 6x6 machines because of easier to maneuver.

Mike and Larry have some great advice for you. I personally, love Max AATVs and have owned many of them. If I were to buy a new AATV today I would certainly go with a Max. I wish they still built Hustlers, Attexes, and Swamp Foxes too, but unfortunately those are since gone and that's a different story. Anyway, the Max has the best AATV transmission ever built in them (the T-20 of course), they're build really tough, they're super reliable, and they have different models and accessories to suite each person's individual needs. As mentioned, I'd do some more homework on the market in your area and speak with the folks at Recreatives a little more and once you have enough data collected, hopefully you'll be able to make a good decision on it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks a billion guys. Again you have great advice for me. I can retire from Corrections (Law Enforcment) in about 3.5 years. We can retire at 55 years old. I think selling these is something I could do in my retirement. I haven't talked to Galen yet, but have it in my plans to so tonight or tomorrow. I don't really want to end up being a full time mechanic on the machines, but I think I could do alot of small mechanical things on the Max's. I have the desire to do this but will be really careful that I don't get in over my head. One question I do have is about plowing with the MAXII's. I read somewhere that if you buy the larger blade (72 inches?) then you really need to have a larger engine. I've also read that it's real hard on the transmissions to plow with them. Any ideas on this?
    Thanks for responding and if you think of anything else let me know.
    Wheeler

Max offers a 60" and 76" plow.

Accessories for the Max II - Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511

I can't say for sure whether or not plowing is hard on the transmission or not, but I will say that these machines will push snow like a bulldozer.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

you have mail
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

I spoke with Galen of RI and am getting ever closer to becoming a dealer of Max machines. I also find that I am on this website more than any other website. I'll keep you guys informed of where I'm headed with my new endeavor.

+ Reply to Thread