just bought a 1997 max II :-) what should i do??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just bought a 1997 max II :-) what should i do??

just bought a 1997 max II :-) what should i do??

hi

I just joined this site tonight and just bought a max last night and have some general questions as I know nothing about these atvs and the one I just bought is actually the only one i have ever seen in person.

Its a 1997 Max II 4-cycle 18hp Vanguard

Anyway, my question to you is: If you had just bought this atv from a total stranger and didn't know its past, what would be the first things you would check on it, or do to it?

Only KNOWN problems: 1.Headlights don't work
    2. Needs a battery (but even I could figure that one out)
    3. Sometimes some thick white smoke is in the exhaust when I
    give it lots of gas, but never when at idle.
    4. Seems like when I turn right, only the front two tires on the
    left side spin, thus making it harder to turn right.
    5. And Finally, it doesn't seem to have much climbing power. I mean, if I go to a somewhat steep hill(i.e. a hill that my 08 honda foreman will climb easily in 2wd) it just sits there and doesn't even spin the tires at full throttle. It goes plenty fast on flat ground (or as fast as I figured it would go, but I'm not too sure how fast it should go) but it is very weak going uphills.

So any input would be great cuz I don't even know where to start, and I want to get this thing back in top shape asap cuz just the small taste I've had of riding it so far has been awesome!!!

Welcome to the site, I also purchased a max II recently, but I have a few years experience with aatv's. The first thing that I did to mine was tear apart the transmission, but mine was an older machine. Since the tranny's are the most costly thing to repair, I just wanted to make sure everything was in good condition, and change the fluid too. If you do anything with the trans, there is a good article on this site about disassembly and reassembly of them.

The engine smoke may just be because the weather is cold out.

As far as the turning goes, check that the chain is on the rear sprocket, and check that the bolt holding the sprocket to the axle is not missing or sheared off.

The lack of climbing power could be a drive belt adjustment, or time for a transmission linkage adjustment.

Another general thing to check is condition of the axle bearings, with the wheels off the ground, check them for up and down movement, if a bearing is bad, you with feel a clunk with a slight movement. Also be sure to keep the axle bearings greased.
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

The first thing to do is tell everyone where you live. Join up with others in your area for group rides, make some friends and have lots of fun. If your machine has issues you may even get some free labor out of them......or a 12 pack goes a long way.
    If you are close to me, we are planning a ride tommorow.
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 12-04-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: ride info

Hey, Mudd. Reading that you have never driven one of these, let alone seen one, you might just be doing a newbie mistake on the hills & while turning. Push the sticks forward on the hills. Hard to do if it's steep, but try it again. Same with your turning issue. It may seem like only your 2 front wheels are turning, because you're pivoting, but if you turn right, make sure you push your left lateral forward & give gas. The stock springs on the laterals are extremely strong, but that doesn't mean you don't have to do some work to make it go. Really, try it again & then if it still seems like it won't go, these guys can help zero in on anything that you might need to check out. If it drives great on flat land, that 18 hp should do good on the hills, too. Like the saying in the movie Mr Mom, you might just be doing it wrong. That's O.K. But first eliminate that as being the problem.

Bridget

well,

I got "elbows deep" in my "new to me" max today and took care of almost all my problems.

First, I replaced the battery. I changed my plugs, air filter, oil and adjusted the carb, which took care of the smoke. Then I sanded the clutch on the motor and put belt dressing on the belt which took care of my power problem. I had to reintall the rear left chain, which took care of my turning problem. I put hub oil on all the chains, topped off the t20 with some dexron II, and greased all the fittings inside and out.

With all that done, now I can honestly say that these things are AWESOME!!!!! I took it straight to the pond and hit it wide open......most "atv" fun I've had in a long time. Other than running it through an electric fence (OUCH!!! got to get more used to the high speed driving) it was all in all a great first day of 6 wheelin!! Thanks for the help..

When you said "topped off the trans", How much fluid do you have in there? There should be one qt. total, you only fill to the bottom plug.

yes, I took out both square plugs and poured it in the top until it was running out the bottom. That's right isn't it?

Great! thanks for lookin out for me buggyman...........Good Lord knows I need it. :-)

Whew... you are one SMART newbie. Go to the head of the class.

Bridget

+ Reply to Thread