Bearing Change

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bearing Change

Hybrid View

Bearing Change

I'm finally getting up enough courage to tackle a bearing change.There certainly are a good number of threads with some great material here on the forum.My Max II has bearing cages and of course solid axles.While I haven't found a lot of specific material regarding change with bearing extensions I am assuming just a third more of the same.Specifically I haven't as yet found material on details of removing the brake assembly on the front axles.
    My reason for changing the bearings is it takes on an excessive amount of water and occasionally I hear a snapping sound coming from the front left wheel.When filled with water it leaks excessively around all axles though some more than others.The machine has 240 hours with nearly 100 of them with tracks.None of the recommended bearing checks reveal a problem(play in the wheel/axles).I maintain that the up and down play is much harder to determine unless both outer bearings are worn.
    A bearing change looks like a gargantuan task to me but the material here gives me some hope also I would like to be able to do it with a degree of comfort.If I can do a bearing change and have the acquaintance of a good T-20 man,I think I could keep it running indefinitely.
    Any tips further to the threads would be appreciated.

With the third bearing, you will probably have a harder time feeling the worn bearings since the two outer ones are so close together. Definitely read through the bearing replacement article: Max II 6x6 Bearing Replacement For the brake assembly, you can just remove the front and rear bolts that hold the assembly in place and then pull it straight up. It will still be attached to the cable that runs between the left and right side, but you will have enough slack that you can just flop it in front of the frame, out of your way. It will be pretty self explanatory once you get in there.

I am in the process of changing all of mine again and took the time to create a video of the process. I got all the axles back in tonight and will start on the chain tomorrow. It will probably be several weeks before I have the time to edit the video, but I hope to get it online sometime in January.

Mike I was afraid I was going to get no replies to my thread,you always come through.I plan on going at this project slow and steady.I have read through your article here thoroughly and it is priceless.While I don't have excessive hours on it over 200 were put on by me in two years,its first 34 hours were over a five year period with I suspect no maintenance.Just like a car wear is a product of usage x time. I have the info on bearings from Buffalo Bearings.What brand and number did you use? My 2003 takes a 72 mm as per the information here.Your video project will be priceless. Thanks Mike.

Mike I went through the 45 pages of Max threads to glean everything I could about bearing changes as well of course your article.A lot of information.My Max has the 72 mm bearings,are you changing the bearings on your red Max II? I can't recall whether your Max II has 62mm or 72mm . Why I ask is I'm curious to the number on your bearings.There seems to be a recurring theme of "HC206-20" (62 mm) and "HC207-20" (72 mm). That said I plan to buy from either RI or highly recommended here ,Buffalo bearings.I suspect Buffalo to be the supplier to RI.I need 18 bearings so will definitely have the old ones out before ordering.I would just like to do a little "armchair " research first.

Buffalo gave me a significant discount for buying in quantities over 10. ( 2 machines) It might be worth it to have spares.

The numbers are standard numbers that represent that size bearing. It's like going to buy tires and asking for a 275/55R20. The number isn't specific to one manufacturer. All brands that are 72mm with 1-1/4" bore will be called HC207-20 All 207 bearings are 72mm. The -20, I believe is the inner bore size in 1/16" increments. So, 20/16 = 1-1/4". A 1" bore would be a -16. I think the HC stands for hybrid corrosive-resistant but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone more versed in bearing nomenclature can chime in?

The only difference I have seen in bearing nomenclature between manufactures is with the triple seal designation. I have seen some manufactures designate a triple seal bearing with "-TRL" at the end and others use "-R3"

My max (now it has a blue body) uses the 72mm bearings.

+ Reply to Thread