I just bought my first 6x6, a Max Buffalo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I just bought my first 6x6, a Max Buffalo

I just bought my first 6x6, a Max Buffalo

It is a 2001 Max Buffalo with 26 inch Goodyears a 20 hp Kohler and 122 hrs. I will be using it for mostly hunting and playing and a little bit of work. I just got it on Saturday night and didn't get home with it until Sunday morning. I'm going to change all the fluids and grease it tomorrow and hopefully Thursday night it will be headed to Kansas for some deer hunting(I live in Arkansas). I turned 40 this year and I've wanted one of these since I was 9. Looking forward to testing it out, I also own a 650 Prarie 4x4 and a Kawasaki Teryx side by side so I will definately be able to give an honest comparison between them all. This is a great site, looking forward to learning more about my machine.

Hi Greg, congratulations on the Buffalo. That should be ideal for hunting. Just think, if you were into hunting Buffalo, it would be the perfect decoy.

Let us know your thoughts on it when you get some time behind the sticks. In the mean time, try to take some pictures when you are out in it and post them so we can see your 6x6.

Hope you enjoy you Buffalo, I assume you have the 26" tires.

Yes, right now I have 26 inch Goodyears. I plan on upgrading to the 27 inch Swamp Fox mid summer. A friend has them on his Rhino and they are REALLY aggressive. I also saw that mightymaxiv was running them on a, well, mighty max iv and they looked liked they worked incredibly well. I also plan to add a red spring to the driven clutch. I'm not one to operate a vehicle at high speed, I would much rather crawl around below 10 or 15 mph, it's the way I operate my other 2 atv's. I'll also be pulling a trailer quite often when I'm setting up deer stands and deer feeders. The last 4 years I was dragging around a 4x8 ft trailer loaded with deer stands, feeders and 500-750 lbs of feed. The Teryx handled it fine, it just didn't like to turn very well with no rear differential, the 4 wheeler struggled, it didn't have enough weight to put the power to the ground. I'm looking forward to putting the Buffalo to the test with the same type load.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but how do you post pic here?

Exclamation

Greg -

You may have tried it already, but I suspect you'll be able to haul much of your hunting supplies in/on the bed of the Buff Truck. If you have the roll cage, it not only protects you, but doubles as a convenient place to secure long guns / bows, etc. If you don't have one they are worth the investment, more so if you can fab one up yourself or with the help of a friend(s). You'll quickly discover that the Buff, like most amphibs, has an extremely low center of gravity, making them far more stable than UTV/side-by-sides... depending on how you load it down. A winch will come in handy to. With a decent, reliable winch your machine will essentially be unstoppable. However, when pulling anything... be aware that due to the skid-steer nature of the Buffalo it will probably take a while to get the hang of towing a trailer. These machines turn on a dime, so watch that you don't turn so sharply that your trailer/tow bar gets hooked up on the back of the truck and/or tires.

Regarding posting pictures... if you already have an account with an online photo hoster you can just drop the URL from your personal snaps right into the posts by clikcing the little cropped photo icon, just left of the global/hyperlink icon. Others here who are more computer savvy can probably explain it better, but I believe Mike has tips & hints elsewhere on this site to help you out.

Welcome aboard!!!
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 12-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Greg:
    Congrats on the Buff. Its a hauling machine. I grew up in Eastern Arkansas-Blytheville to be exact. Where are you? The East side of the state, as well as the White River Refuge, has a ton of swamps & lowlands to play in.

Ditry Harry, thank you for the tips. I used to run heavy equipment, dozers, loaders, scrapers etc, so I understand how a skid steer wants to jackknife with you when pulling a trailer. As far as the tires hitting the trailer, I had to watch for that with my 4wheeler because the hitch was recessed between the back tires. I'll be carefull and see how it goes. My next post my be "how do you unjackknife a max and trailer". ;0) In fact, I leave tomorrow for Kansas and I will be dragging the trailer around the deer lease moving some stands and such. When I get back I'll let you guys know how the Buffalo performed. I'm changing all the fluids, greasing the bearings and lubing the chains tonight just to make sure it is in shape. In May, I plan on adding a winch on the front, maybe one in the back if I can find 2 cheap enough, a roll cage, mine has nothing but wooden stakes for the bed, a red spring in the driven clutch and hopefully a new set of 27 inch Swamp Fox tires.

Noel, I live in Bentonville, up in the northeast corner next to Missouri, OK and KS. We are all mountains up here. I would love to take this down to a swamp sometime. I think there is an atv park near Fort Smith that has some swamp type terrain, I'll have to check it out sometime.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by greg pinson; 12-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread