Sunk max

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunk max

Sunk max

I have a max II with an 18hp briggs that was sunk by a buddy. Total rear end submerged. Do these motors usually hold up well if properly cleaned out and new fluids run threw a couple times or should i get a new motor. Any issues with cleaning out tranny and new fluids in it as well. it is a 96 model with very lows hours that ran fine before.

Get the water out asap. Pull the plugs and crank it over, then drain the oil. With fresh oil start the motor, let it run(idle) for 30 sec to 1 min. Shut it down and check the oil. If it looks foamy at all you did not get all the water out....change oil again and repeat. If the oil looks ok run it longer and recheck, but it's probably ok. You may have to pull the carb to clean it out before it will start, depends on how bad it was submerged. The fuel tank is up front and shouldn't have taken on water, otherwise you would have to drain it and change the filter/flush lines. The t-20 may not have taken on water, but it would be a good idea to change the oil, drive it a little and change it again. Look for foam, that means water. It's not the end of the world, just a minor setback. Once the water is out all should be OK. Good luck

I sank my max II this summer to the bottom almost. First pull the plugs and hand roll it you'll see water come out if you do check your air filter thats where it got in. Dry the air filter drain oil and change the oil filter. After i drained my oil i added fresh in and hand rolled it a few times and drained it again to help get most of the water out. That seemed to do the trick...fresh oil fired it up and ran like a champ plus now I know its nice and clean inside. And buggyman1 has experience look up his videos he may of sunk an AATV before I hear.
    The feat of sinking a max is a badge of honor.

Just as an FYI, water doesn't have to get any deeper than a few inches up the engine block on a Vanguard to fill the carb and intake/and then cylinders with water.. IF you let the engine continue to run. The fins on the flywheel's cooling fan will throw water up into the air cleaner via that rubber boot between the cowling and air filter base that normally supplies fresh/cooler air.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by bierbower37 View Post
    I sank my max II this summer to the bottom almost. First pull the plugs and hand roll it you'll see water come out if you do check your air filter thats where it got in. Dry the air filter drain oil and change the oil filter. After i drained my oil i added fresh in and hand rolled it a few times and drained it again to help get most of the water out. That seemed to do the trick...fresh oil fired it up and ran like a champ plus now I know its nice and clean inside. And buggyman1 has experience look up his videos he may of sunk an AATV before I hear.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trail...july-11th.html
    2 strokes are a little easier to clean the water out of....no oil/filter to worry about or carb float bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trail...july-11th.html
    2 strokes are a little easier to clean the water out of....no oil/filter to worry about or carb float bowl.
    Thats for sure, a buddy blasted his 1/5 scale R/C into a swamp. I think it was 1/2 hour before it was running again, maybe less. My neighbor sank an Outboard in SALTwater, and put it away for the winter. Cleaned it up in the spring and after setting it on fire he got it running. This is certainly luck though, it should be dried out ASAP.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

It will be floating for a while yet. The ice is to thin to get it out for now. The front 2 tires are all that is out of the water. Hopefully by early next week it can be pulled to dry land and taken in for clean up. Thanks for the info

Where are you located? Maybe a local member will pull you out with thier machine. The sooner you get it out of the water and dried out the better.

If you wait for the ice to thicken up it'll be frozen in good. Are you planning on cutting it out with a saw? You'll certainly need to drain the Tranny and dry it out too. Your guess is as good as mine, but mine would be that you'll get it going again, just with a good exercise in tearing the motor and tranny down. I'm with buggyman, find a local AATV owner or use a rowboat (if Ice is thin enough to break up a passage) but get it the heck out of there before ice squeezes something the wrong way, breaks a bead and it becomes a Scuba mission.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Ice is real bad heavy snow insulating it and the weight is causing water to pump up in weak spots making lots of holes under the snow. It is to thick for a boat and has a lot of bad holes like the one the max went in. Yeah just as soon as the ice gets thick enough to get right up to it going to cut it out and lift it up and out on ice. And no I didn't drive it out there.

+ Reply to Thread