Do I need to remove track axle extenders to get the bearings?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need to remove track axle extenders to get the bearings?

Do I need to remove track axle extenders to get the bearings?

I'm in the process of getting at the center axle sprocket that has half the teeth missing and went to go remove the axle but I have tracks with the axle extenders, do I need to remove all the wheels on that side and remove the extender so I can get at the bearings?
    Thanks!
    -Jedon

I edited my original response because I gave you wrong information and don't want to mislead anyone else. Sorry, see Eldon's post below.

I think he will have to remove all the wheels on that side because the rail is bolted on the outside of all three cages.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    I think he will have to remove all the wheels on that side because the rail is bolted on the outside of all three cages.
    Gotcha. When you do that, I guess you can just leave the tracks on the tires?

You might be able to if you deflated the tires completely.Otherwise there would be too much pressure on the wheel studs and if you could get them off, you would never get them on.Tracks are a lot of fun but only when using them, for maintenance they are a real liability.

Thanks all, I decided right away that I needed to just go for it so did, I took the valve stems out of all the tires on that side, removed the middle wheel, then removed both the other wheels and the tracks as a unit but am sure I will need to do the standard track install when putting it back together.
    Now I have a new problem, how in the world to get the jack shaft out. I have all the adjusting plates fully unbolted and the cotter pins out but can't figure out how to get the whole unit out of my way. I really just need it gone so I can replace the center axle sprockets. This is complected by the axle extenders, the how to write up doesn't mention the added pieces of the tread kit.

You don't have to remove the jackshafts to remove the sprocket and axle below them. Since you have them loose, that will give you enough room to move them around and get to the bolt that holds the sprocket on. You should also be able to get to the locking collar with a long punch. I have used an 18" crow bar in the past with a pointed end to rotate the locking collar on the middle axles.

I'm all eyes and ears regarding bearings,jackshafts etc.Just got mine on jackstands,opened up etc.Mike when I removed the brake calipers it was so easy I was embarassed that I had asked.
    The mechanics of bearing change looks straightforward,I feel I will be pretty good at it on the sixth axle.LOL.The biggest challenge I see at this stage will be removing the allen screws setting the collars to the solid axles as I have read they use locktite.

+ Reply to Thread