drive belt installation

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: drive belt installation

drive belt installation

Need help on how to take off old drive belt and replace with new one. I am not familar with the proceedure any help with this task would be greatly appreciated. I already have the new belt from Richard's. Also any specialty tools needed for this install? Thanks to all for the help. Takem boys

what 6x6 do you have ...i have a max ix...if it was mine i would just cut the old one off...then start on the engine clutch and put
    belt over that clutch and then roll over the lower clutch...its alittle tough to roll over the lower
    but theirs no simpler way...

Sorry I didn't give the model, it's a 1999 Max IV, I have seen that technique used on a VW to replace a broken belt but didnt know if it would work on this type of belt since it was quite a bit widder and had the clutch assembly. Thanks wfo for the info. I was trying to save the old belt to use as a spare just in case I had a problem out on the trail or in the rice fields I hunt. If there are any other ways to change without cutting the belt I would love to hear them. Thanks, Takem Boys

just reverse the procedure, start at the lower clutch and use a screwdriver to get it started and roll it off

spread the driven clutch by hand (hard to do... you have to rotate it and push the inner sheve toward the t-20). use a small block of wood to hold it open. this will allow the belt to fall all the way into the driven clutch and you can easily pull the belt over the top of the engine clutch. leave the wood block in place and reverse procedure to put the new belt on. opening the driven is easier if you have a helper to hold the clutch from spinning and to drop in the wood block once you get it open, but it can be done alone
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks again for all the help, the support from the members is one of the reasons I decided to become a aatv owner, without this web site I don't think I would have purchased my Max. Thanks Mike for all you do to help us newbies with our problems by running this 6x6 site, you are doing a wonderful job and service to the aatv world. Merry Christmas to all my fellow members at 6x6 world.com and hope ya'll have a Happy New Year! More questions to come I am sure. Your
    fellow aatver, Takem Boys

+ Reply to Thread